• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post operation care

Hi, can anyone give me wee bit advice. Got a boy and girl bunny who have been together two weeks now. Boy is neutered, girl isnt. I intend to have her done in next few weeks. They currently share an indoor cage, is it safe to put the boy in with her post op or should he be kept maybe in a cage beside her so there is sight and smell but no physical contact. Obviously worried that he may injure her trying to mount her when she is still recovering.

What would be the best for them.:?

Hi!

If he has been neutered for a while, he shouldn't be wanting to mount her too much. When I had Smokey spayed, Inky had been neutered for over 6 months and he was super gentle with her.

The first night, I let him into the indoor pen with her, just so he could see that she was OK and it calmed Smokey down a lot. However, I kept them separate for the first night, just in case. Once, we were over the first night, I let them stay in the same pen but I kept a close eye on them.

I think most people who know their rabbits, know what is best for them. Whenever one of mine has been ill/had to go to the vets, the 'healthy' rabbit has always been really gentle with them afterwards but they are generally pretty gentle with each other anyway.

My Vet always likes to keep bonded Rabbits together and will admit both Rabbits when just one is having an op'. Then they remain together when they return home.

You will need to restrict your Doe to a small area for 7 days so your Buck will need time out for exercise on his own. If you seperate them completely for a week then you are very likely to have to start the bonding from scratch even if they were kept in adjacent cages.

my boy was just done at the end of February. He had never tried to mount anything before but I knew I would be getting him a mate. since his wifey arrived there has been a lot of mounting, especially when I come into the room or pay any attention to his wife - assume he is displaying his dominance to me as well as to her. Hence being a bit worried them being together after the op, incase he is too pushy.

I got him last June, he was 1 in March - his wife has been with us two weeks and is 9 months old.

Back