• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Megazorb Smells Damp and Musty

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
We've just started using Megazorb since we got Paddy and Benji 7 weeks ago, so I'm not quite sure how it normally smells, but I'd appreciate your input. :wave:

As P&B are housebunnies, we keep the sack of Megazorb in the shed and decant some into a small plastic lidded box to keep inside. I noticed today that it smells damp and feels slightly damp too; in fact there is a little condensation inside the box.

I assumed this was because it perhaps 'sweats' inside the plastic box and that we should maybe keep it in something more breathable. But having just checked the sack in the shed, it smells a bit musty too. Is this normal? :?

I'm not sure if this how it has smelled since we got it as it's usually my OH who deals with their litter trays! :oops:

One of the buns has done a couple of wees over the last couple of days outside their trays, and I'm wondering if they are objecting to the smell of the Megazorb. :?

Some of mine have, in the past, smelt of vinegar :shock:

It's never felt damp though. Stinks when it's got wee on it though!

my megazorb lives in the living room with me and the bunnies. no visitors though! it smells woody, and is very dry. it doesn't smell too bad with wee on it - better than woodshavings or paper!

my megazorb lives in the living room with me and the bunnies. no visitors though! it smells woody, and is very dry. it doesn't smell too bad with wee on it - better than woodshavings or paper!

Yuck, yes, newspaper with wee on it! :mrgreen:

i have been using megazorb for 2 years, decanting a manageable quantity into a plastic box . keeping both sack and box in shed.
the lid is tight enough to deter unauthorised entries, but not too tight to cause smells.
i have never had a damp, smell, prob.

I had a damp bag once. The Megazorb within it (at the top, anyway) was noticeably darker in colour, as well as obviously the smell.

I have had the odd 'bad' bag of Megazorb in the past. It can depend on how it's stored. When I buy mine (from a farm shop) I can normally tell if it's going to be a bit damp as it weighs more. One bag once that was incredibly heavy and when I opened it, it smelt rank. I got my money back.

It shouldn't smell damp or off so if your's does then maybe it has been exposed to damp at some stage in it's life. It should be really light and fluffy and if it isn't then, I'd maybe not use it - you might have mould spores in it.

I've got a bag at the moment which smells different to normal but it's still useable. Do you cover it with hay?

Back