• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

peeing/pooping on vetbed

Adorabunny

Warren Scout
Just wondering your experiences with vetbed...I have recently had to get some vetbed because my buns hocks were looking sore but he started peeing and pooping on it :roll: he is usually very good at using his litter tray.

Does anyone else's bunny do this with vetbed? Is it due to the thickness of the pile or just the fact that it is something new in his area? Having said that I have changed his flooring in the past without any problem so I'm confused :?

Mine are litter trained until there is vetbed/blankets around then they pee on them :roll: I think it is just because they are soft and comfy :lol:

My boys actually AVOID their littertarys when they're in their cage - it's always the vet bed! :roll: It's really irratating!

Re the sore hocks though, I've heard vet bed can make them worse. Have you tried using a thick layer of hay instead?

Thanks for your replies, nice to know I'm not the only one. Their area is quite large so it's not really practical to cover it with hay. I've tried a rug but they pull bits out of it and use it as a toilet - I can't win!! Does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I could use as a floor covering?

Last edited:
My cat was the worste when i was taking him to get spayed, it was like he new what i was taking him for, he pooed all over his cat basket & then it rubbed into all his furr & went everywhere it absolutly stunk!! lol. :lol:

Mine peed on it sometimes and occasionally we get cecals mushed into it. I put towels underneath to (a) make it a bit more springy and (b) to catch any pee as the vetbed draws it away from the surface very well but then it needs something underneath. For the cecals I hoover it with the pipe bit. I hoover it every now and then anyway as it tends to get very furry! Hoovering it also seems to 'lift' it, if you see what I mean.

Back