• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've just seen Artie having his bladder expressed

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

He was such a good boy though :love::love:

Last time he had it done I left him and he had it done under sedation the following day.

This time his Auntie Frances decided she would see if he would let her do it in the consultation without getting too distressed... and he did.

I held/comforted his head/shoulders while his bladder was squeezed and some stuff that looked like cold tea came out :mrgreen: FHB said that it's only about a third of what she would normally get out but would be happy to do that six weekly instead of admitting him and sedating him - he'd be much happier that way and it would control his issues just as well :love::love:

So I expected to pay for x-ray, consultation, hospitalisation, sedation/procedure etc and worry about the little guy for the next day or so ...
and I only paid for a follow up consultation £19.65. :D:D ....and I've got my bunny back home and happy :love::love:

I have to do Nomads bladder and sometimes the gunge that comes out is like Ready Mix Cement :shock:

Better out than in though as it must be really uncomfortable.

I am glad Artie is home :D

ewwww ewwwwww ewwwww :lol::lol::lol:

so all is well then? :D

Yeah :D:D He has an ongoing condition that needs monitoring and controlling but it shouldn't really affect his life if it's kept on top of :D:D:D

She did say she had considered teaching me how to do it but his bladder was a bit hard to locate today. To be honest I'd rather somebody proficient did it instead of me fumbling about. I'd rather pay to have it done well.

I have to do Nomads bladder and sometimes the gunge that comes out is like Ready Mix Cement :shock:

Better out than in though as it must be really uncomfortable.

I am glad Artie is home :D

Thank you.

She did say, from memory it's mainly dwarf lops that have this problem but then she said she sees more dwarf lops than any other so it's difficult to say if they are more prone to it.

Yeah, when you see the volume of the thick textured stuff you do appreciate how horrible it must be to stay in there.... he had 4 1/2 years worth of it when they first treated him for it :cry:

Hi just read this thread. Just wondering what it is that causes this build up in the bladder? Is it something that happens to all buns but in some it gets out of control? Or is it an illness as such? Sorry, dont know alot about this and is always good to learn!
xxx

We don't know why it builds up. It's calcium sediment but it's not excessive calcium in his diet. For some reason that we don't know, he doesn't fully empty his bladder so only the more water-like liquid wees out naturally and the heavier stuff just gathers. There's nothing obvious for the x-rays etc as to why it happens. The biggest danger was from, like happened a year ago, that the stale urine gathers underneath the 'cement' and is held next to the bladder wall, causing infection. The most obvious clue to this is blood in urine, chalky urine. He'd obviously been suffering for a while without me knowing about it :cry::cry:

I don't know if it's the same cause with other rabbits with the same condition but it's not an uncommon condition. Sometimes it's because the spine has some deformity - not in Artie's case though.

Hi just read this thread. Just wondering what it is that causes this build up in the bladder? Is it something that happens to all buns but in some it gets out of control? Or is it an illness as such? Sorry, dont know alot about this and is always good to learn!
xxx

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/info-sheets/calcium.htm

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...zgK#v=onepage&q=rabbit bladder sludge&f=false

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/Sludge.htm

Thanks Jane thats very interesting. Its difficult to ensure, with one very picky eater and one absolute hoover-bunny, that both of mine are getting just the right amount of calcium. No probs so far tho :D

I suppose if its not related to calcium it could be a defect in the shape of the bladder? I only say this because my mum had a very similar problem, lots of infections etc and it turned out to be because her bladder was in such a shape that didn't allow it to empty properly. She had an operation to fix it and it solved the problem.
xxx

I suppose if its not related to calcium it could be a defect in the shape of the bladder? I only say this because my mum had a very similar problem, lots of infections etc and it turned out to be because her bladder was in such a shape that didn't allow it to empty properly. She had an operation to fix it and it solved the problem.
xxx

Yes, something like that. His bladder looks okay on x-rays and he's even had an operation on it so the vet's had it in her hand :shock: so there's nothing obvious BUT a line shows up on x-ray near the neck of the bladder and the vet doesn't know what it is, sometimes it's more clear than other times. She's seen the line on other bunny bladder x-rays since seeing it on Artie's but still doesn't know what it is or if that has anything to do with his issues. He had loads of stasis episodes in the past so at least we know the problem now and can deal with it :love:

great news - and much less of a worry for you:D

Yes, definitely. He was really lively last night, like he'd not had a bad experience at all, I was expecting him to either be sulking at the vets or at home 'out of it' after sedation. I was having to really steel myself for putting him through it, now it feels no worse than taking him for vaccination :love:

Yes, something like that. His bladder looks okay on x-rays and he's even had an operation on it so the vet's had it in her hand :shock: so there's nothing obvious BUT a line shows up on x-ray near the neck of the bladder and the vet doesn't know what it is, sometimes it's more clear than other times. She's seen the line on other bunny bladder x-rays since seeing it on Artie's but still doesn't know what it is or if that has anything to do with his issues. He had loads of stasis episodes in the past so at least we know the problem now and can deal with it :love:

Very strange. Its fantastic that you now know what the problem is and have found a way of dealing with it that doesnt upset him too much, yay :D What a brave boy, don't think I would be so calm if it was me having my bladder expressed! :lol:

Back