• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant bunny food

Mrs Ord

Mama Doe
I'm getting Carlisle (Flemish Giant) on Saturday :D

My other bunnys are both quite small and I was wondering how much the big guys eat in comparison. Twice as much?

Also Carlisle has been eating the horrible fatty mixed food had no exercise or greens so will need to transfer him graually and get him to slim down as he seems to be overweight. :censored:

Any other tips on giants would also be helpfull. Are they much different to care for?

I know you have to wean gradually, or they could get poorly tummies. I'd start weaning gradually, and let him out in the garden whilst you're out there if it's secured?

my stanley eats alot of greens and he eats one large scoop of food in the morning and one at night i had to change his food because he was on the mixed stuff he is now on pellets he loves it. i found him just the same as little rabbits to look after just the big difference is the waight:D

They grow very quickly! We have 3 flemish Giant / continental giant crosses... they are absolutley lovely! (Lazy but gorgeous!)

At approximatley 9 months old, they are around 7kg already!

Ours have a dog bowl full of veg a day (between them) which they hoover up, 2 cups of pellets twice a day, and unlimited hay (Timothy / meadow). Plus herbs etc. Apparently hay wise, a lump the same sized as them each per day at least as a rough guide.

Ours were on revolting mixed stuff, but we switched them to Wagg pellets which they like.

Get the larger water bottles, and the biggest litter pans you can find - P@H do one with a huge heartshaped back (...) which ours can fit (and sleep in) nicely. They cant chew it either as its really tough plastic.

Hi Jess :wave:

Off topic a little bit :oops: but how do you find them temprement wise? Did they mix well with each other?

They are inseparable, but ours are siblings, brother and two sisters. (thats actually why we have 3 - we went to get two, and there were only 3 left - out of a litter of 10, only 4 had survived anyway, but we couldnt decide which two we wanted... that and after seeing them together, we just couldnt face leaving one bunny!

Im so glad we kept all three together - We have had them all speyed / neutered which stopped some humping and a few minor scuffles (mostly from overzealous humping!) but we have no trouble with fighting etc. They sleep in a big pile, groom each other, and even 'defend' each other! (E.g if trying to get our boy into a pet carrier for vet trips, the others will hurry over and butt you etc).

They are wonderful rabbits. Please feel free to pm me if you have any queries, happy to share our hard-earnt knowlege!

Angelica- just had to say I saw your photo and Stanley is absolutely stunning! Those ears are just fantastic, put a smile on my face afetr a stressful day at work so goodness knows how lovely it must be to own him!:love:

Can i be immature and say i thought you meant giant-sized food for rabbits! :shock: Like humungus carrots and pellets as big as your head! :lol::lol::lol:

Angelica- just had to say I saw your photo and Stanley is absolutely stunning! Those ears are just fantastic, put a smile on my face afetr a stressful day at work so goodness knows how lovely it must be to own him!:love:

thank you he puts a smile on my face every time i come home :D

Back