• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Papaya

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
Hi guys, I've done a search for info on the forum but not really found the answers I'm looking for.

Angel has been ill due to blocked stomach and moults heavily and over grooms.

What kind of papaya is best? (I don't even know what it is, presumably a fruit, but will have to google it! :oops::oops:)

Are these any good:

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%2526+Herbs.7/Papaya+%2526+Pineapple+Melange.264.html

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%2526+Herbs.7/Papaya+Fruit+Plus+:+90.134.html

Any how often should she be getting it?

Thanks in advance :wave:

I give my lot half an Oxbow papaya tablet each when they are moulting. I'm not sure whether it helps or not though!

I wouldn't give a rabbit dried pineapple etc because of the high sugar content and I doubt that the bromelain (sp?) the enzyme you are looking for would be that high in dried fruit.

If you can increase the amount of hay Angel eats and perhaps help her out by pulling out loose fur when she is moulting, that will probably be as useful, if not more (and cheaper).

FC x

Have found this:

*Papaya Enzyme Tablets* - We have found that the use of flavored,
chewable papaya or papaya/pineapple enzyme tablets have been very
useful in the prevention of hairballs in rabbits. These tablets
contain digestive enzymes that help to bread down the hair in the
stomach and help it to pass on through the digestive tract. We give
these daily at 1 tablet per 5 lbs of body weight. The first time you
present them to your bunny, you may need to push the tablet into your
pet's mouth to give him or her a taste. After one or two times, your
pet should eat the tablets out of your hand or out of the food dish.
These tablets are readily available at any human health food store. An
alternative to the tablets is the use of fresh pineapple or papaya
chunks fed to your rabbit at least 2 times weekly.
Some rabbits will
eat these fruits readily, and should be fed 1 tablespoon of fruit per 5
lb body weight.
Do not use canned products, as the canning process
destroys the enzyme in the fruit. (HRS Note: we have found that
Prozyme, a multiple enzyme product, is even more effective in
preventing hairballs or enteritis. It is great for bunnies with
sensitive digestive systems or for bunnies that are molting, etc. If
you are using Prozyme, it can completely replace the papaya enzyme.)

(Source: http://netvet.wustl.edu/species/rabbits/rabtcare.txt)

When Angel was weighed the other day, the scales said 344 - is this likely to be grams? She's a medium sized bun:

IMG00482-20090509-1252.jpg
(she's the blondie)

If I buy papaya tablets from Holland and Barret/Julian Greaves, are these going to be ok?

How much fresh papaya should I feed in one sitting to her? Half a tablespoon?
And twice a week?

Sorry. just really want to try and prevent her going through all this again.

Thanks

Can't answer your question - but pic:love::love::love::love:

Do they like fresh pineapple too? I feed my lot it once in a while - don't know if it helps

Can't answer your question - but pic:love::love::love::love:

Do they like fresh pineapple too? I feed my lot it once in a while - don't know if it helps

I've never fed fresh pineapple to be honest. I may try though. How much and how often do u do your buns? :wave:

You could buy the tablets from Holland and Barratt etc, I would still only give about 1/2 once daily.

I wouldn't bother really with the fresh stuff, unless it's for a treat. The enzyme you are looking for is likely to be more concentrated in a tablet anyway.

The enzyme is meant to soften furballs. Getting your rabbit to eat lots of hay is more useful in the longterm because the fibre will help to drag everything through.

I've never fed fresh pineapple to be honest. I may try though. How much and how often do u do your buns? :wave:

It's really high in sugar, but I buy it from Morrisons already cut up:oops: they just get the odd piece when they are moulting. A couple don't like it much, but most do:D

You can use a small capful of pineapple juice, works wonders, but as allready mentioned it's very sugary so I'd keep all other treats to a minimum.

Back