• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whats the age you seperate kits?

8 weeks is what is recommended, so unless you have any problems, its 8 weeks, but there are instances for leaving them longer and also separating them earlier.

unless the mum is particularly stressed or aggressive towards the kit i would separate them at 8 to 9 weeks.

They need to be with mum up to 8 weeks to ensure that they get the best possible start with regards to immunity and their gut. They will probably feed off mum for the whole 8 weeks and maybe even longer if you let them.

Only very rarely do their hormones develop before 8 weeks.

Thankyou for that sky-o someone told me i have to seperate them at 3weeks old as they start mateing with each other, I thought it was a bit too early to be true.. There 5 days old today & getting furr saw them feeding off mum earlier was lovely to watch that! :) Doing very well to say its her 1st litter! :D

:wave: Danielle :wave:

Whoever told you that is clearly very ignorant. Ignore any advice they have to say and come to RU and ask questions (then maybe go back and educate them :lol:). You will get decent advice here :)

I think your friend may be thinking of Guinea Pigs who do reach sexual maturity at a surprisingly early age.

Rabbits are definatley later.

Whoever told you that is clearly very ignorant. Ignore any advice they have to say and come to RU and ask questions (then maybe go back and educate them :lol:). You will get decent advice here :)

:lol: Yeah thats why i thought i'de post a thread about it on here! all the advice i've got on here has helped me a lot & she's doing very well! :D

:wave: Danielle :wave:

A lot of people take kits away from mum at 6 weeks, then seperate them into same sex groups or pairs at 7 weeks, and rehome them at 8 weeks, however some people prefer to take kits away at 8 weeks and rehome them at 10 :) If the mum seems ok with the babies being around, I'd keep them with her till 7/8 weeks

PS. Make sure you have a few cages spare, indoor plastic/metal ones will probably be best if you're borrowing them from friends as they can be easily disinfected. I'd let you borrow my bunny-dog crate but I'm using it as Harleys recovery cage at the moment :(

Last edited:
Back