• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis in a young rabbit?

wiggie

Alpha Buck
I'm sorry if this is doubled up with another thread but I have a rabbit who may have arthritis in her back legs.

She is 3years old and has some dental issues in inscisors and small spurs on her molars neither requiring immediate attention.
I noticed she had lost weight last week and over the weekend she was sitting funny with her back legs askew and wasn't putting weight on one of her back legs.
The vet said she has some muscle wastage on both legs but more so on the one she isn't using.
He put her on metacam for a week and to review then. She may need an x-ray to determine if it is arthriris but that's what he thinks it might be.

She is eating and drinking pooing peeing etc normally and moving around but is lying down a little more than normal.
The metacam seems to have eased things a bit. she is now using both legs but is still sitting funny. One leg seems to be sticking out to one side.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis just a bit more information.
Also is there anything I should be doing to help?
glucosomine has been suggested - thanks

If it is arthritis what kind of future could we be looking at for her?
If not what else could it be?

Sorry for the long post

Amy,
ask your vet about EC, not necessarily the problem but worth considering and covring with panacur or lapazole.
Good luck xxxxx

I'm sorry if this is doubled up with another thread but I have a rabbit who may have arthritis in her back legs.

She is 3years old and has some dental issues in inscisors and small spurs on her molars neither requiring immediate attention.
I noticed she had lost weight last week and over the weekend she was sitting funny with her back legs askew and wasn't putting weight on one of her back legs.
The vet said she has some muscle wastage on both legs but more so on the one she isn't using.
He put her on metacam for a week and to review then. She may need an x-ray to determine if it is arthriris but that's what he thinks it might be.

She is eating and drinking pooing peeing etc normally and moving around but is lying down a little more than normal.
The metacam seems to have eased things a bit. she is now using both legs but is still sitting funny. One leg seems to be sticking out to one side.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis just a bit more information.
Also is there anything I should be doing to help?
glucosomine has been suggested - thanks

If it is arthritis what kind of future could we be looking at for her?
If not what else could it be?

Sorry for the long post

Ling Jai has exactly the same problem, he doesn't lye down, the other day he was running basically just scraping his back leg along and I took him to the vet straight away and we are now trying a course of panacur incase it is EC, but an xray taken a couple of months ago came up with nothing, so it may be difficult to determine exactly what the problem is:)

Thanks guys, She has continued to improve with the metacam and the wonkyness of her back legs is lessening and sometimes not even noticable:D. She is even standing up on her back legs now which until she did yesterday I hadn't realised how long it had been since she last did:oops:. Her moblilty just seems easier and more natural. Not normal but much better. She is still very thin, particularly her back half, but even that seems to be improving.
I don't know whether just to be happy or to also be worried that it looks like the vet was right. I'll take happy for now:D.
If anyone still has any other info about this condition or knows where I can find it i would still be really grateful.
It's been a while since we panacured so is probably a good idea anyway and will definately mention EC to the vet.
Jassie hope your bun improves!
x

Back