• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Couple of uneaten cecals

Becca24

Mama Doe
I have noticed that there a couple of uneated cecals in Pips hutch today, is it normal for young buns to not eat a few or is there somthing wrong?
I gave him Timothy hay for the first time yesterday, havent changed pellets or gave anything else new!

Also, his underneath is a little bit messy with a few poos stuck round him bottom and some tiny matted bits. He doesnt really like being picked up (my hand are rather scractched today) do I continue to try and clean him up or leave it for a little while I dont want to stress him out! :?:?:?:?

Hi, I'm sure someone more expert will be able to answer this properly, but my bun Jess who's about 4 months old, had a little fad of leaving them and i think it was possibly too much veg and too many nuggets (excel), because when i cut it right back and restricted nuggets to a small handful once a day it stopped - i could have been a coincidence but i've read on here before that excel nuggets can sometimes cause excess ceco-thingys as can too much sweet food like carrot, which can also cause loose poos.

I've slowly increased her veg as she's got bigger but still restrict nuggets and she's fine now.

I think my hands are scarred for life from little jess, baby buns claws are like needles aren't they :shock:

That's a toughie. They can do it due to diet, or stress/depression. How many pellets roughly is he eating a day?

I wonder if he doesn't like to be handled if you smell of something particular (such as Rolo) because he was ok when I held him (although he was very new and much shyer then, so he may now just be showing her true personality).

Hi, I'm sure someone more expert will be able to answer this properly, but my bun Jess who's about 4 months old, had a little fad of leaving them and i think it was possibly too much veg and too many nuggets (excel), because when i cut it right back and restricted nuggets to a small handful once a day it stopped - i could have been a coincidence but i've read on here before that excel nuggets can sometimes cause excess ceco-thingys as can too much sweet food like carrot, which can also cause loose poos.

I've slowly increased her veg as she's got bigger but still restrict nuggets and she's fine now.

I think my hands are scarred for life from little jess, baby buns claws are like needles aren't they :shock:
:wave:

They certainly are sharp, bless em!! I havent been giving him any veg only pellets and hay but the pellets have been unlimited so he always has some cos he eats quite alot of pellets, perhaps he has been eating too many?? :?

Would love to see some pics of Jess!!?? :):)

That's a toughie. They can do it due to diet, or stress/depression. How many pellets roughly is he eating a day?

I wonder if he doesn't like to be handled if you smell of something particular (such as Rolo) because he was ok when I held him (although he was very new and much shyer then, so he may now just be showing her true personality).

I have started to try and handle him a bit today so perhaps he prefered me just letting him come to me! I have been washing my hands like mad and they are really dry now! :(

He is a funny little thing, has become very attached to the snugglesafe he doesnt like me moving it or taking it out to heat! :)

What do you think about me cleaning his bottom up, I thought be best if me and matt did it together so it was one hold one clean and it got done quicker, then less stress!!???

Tracy am i worrying too much cos I feel like I not off to good start! :cry::cry:

The most likely cause of the dirty botton and uneaten ceacals is giving too much dried food, usually cutting down on pellets will resolve this problem and keep you buns botton clean.

Most rescues take in many buns with dirty bottoms, usually these are on excel or a non pelleted food which is lower in fibre. By changing to an egg cup of a high fibre food such as Science Selective, A&P or Bunny Basics this usually is resolved very quickly.

There is nothing wrong with excel, just that for some rabbits it doesnt work for them in large quantities.

Cheryl from Sprouston Rescue wrote an article about the quantity of dried food a few years ago which would be worth reading. I will try and locate it for you.

Given he is only 6 weeks old I would be warey of diet adjustments because he will still be going through his gut change and still at high risk of the nasty stomach issues. I would also ensure he has more than an eggcup full because of his age (don't think Janice knew how teeny he was?). Sorry if you do and I'm disagreeing Janice.

Its good he likes the snugglesafe :)

I would try not to handle him. Let him be in control, put your hands in, let him walk all over them and over you. Win his trust. You can do this, you're a great bunny mum :)

I do think his bum needs a clean. Whatever way you think would be least stressful for him, go with that. Remember to relax as you do it so that he doesn't pick up on that.

You're off to a notwonderful start because of the circumstances he came to you in, BUT you as an owner are off to a good start and are doing a great job for him. It's very stressful having bunnies especially vulnerable ones.

Given he is only 6 weeks old I would be warey of diet adjustments because he will still be going through his gut change and still at high risk of the nasty stomach issues. I would also ensure he has more than an eggcup full because of his age (don't think Janice knew how teeny he was?). Sorry if you do and I'm disagreeing Janice.

I would try not to handle him. Let him be in control, put your hands in, let him walk all over them and over you. Win his trust. You can do this, you're a great bunny mum :)

I do think his bum needs a clean. Whatever way you think would be least stressful for him, go with that. Remember to relax as you do it so that he doesn't pick up on that.

You're off to a notwonderful start because of the circumstances he came to you in, BUT you as an owner are off to a good start and are doing a great job for him. It's very stressful having bunnies especially vulnerable ones.

Becca-24 had put nothing of age in her post which is why I suggested what I have done.

Even for a young rabbit of this age, I would still reduce the dry food quantity slowly and try to keep them eating as much hay as possible as this is the most natural food any rabbit can have.

Becca-24 had put nothing of age in her post which is why I suggested what I have done.

Even for a young rabbit of this age, I would still reduce the dry food quantity slowly and try to keep them eating as much hay as possible as this is the most natural food any rabbit can have.

Yeh, I know she didn't :) Hence why I said what I did. Unless you had read her other posts, you weren't to know at all.

Thanks Janice for your advice as Sky-O says he is only 6 weeks so its kind of catch 22 for me, I am in a few weeks time going to gradually wean him on to Science Selective. Again with cleaning his bottom I dont want to stress him out with handling but I realise its important to clean him. :?

I use simple wipes on chloe so thought I would do that, waiting for hubby to come home and then we can do it together (unless Sky-O wants to give me a hand if she's up this way any time soon?????)!

I do appreciate everyones advice, think I will feel better when is older and not so fragile - RU is my lifeline at the moment! :)

I don't mind coming over tomorrow if you want some help?

ETA- although if he can be cleaned tonight that would be better.

I think I have pushed him with the handling, he's fine with my hand being in there and will sniff my face if I stick my head in and left me give him a nose rub but just hates it when I go to life him so I shall back off and start from the beginning again!

With regards to food I have put fresh hay down and not added to pellets! Basically he has been having a small handful at breakfast, lunch and dinner he hasnt been totally finishing them so each handful has been like a top-up!

I can't help but wonder how his littermates are doing, hope they are being cautious too! :(

Maybe try losing the lunchtime feed for now? That way he has two feeds during the day, and loads and loads of hay. See if that makes a difference, and if it doesn't, then have a juggle of the amount of food in the morning and evening (but it will need to be constantly juggled as he grows).

I sure hope all the others went to such vigilant homes!

Maybe try losing the lunchtime feed for now? That way he has two feeds during the day, and loads and loads of hay. See if that makes a difference, and if it doesn't, then have a juggle of the amount of food in the morning and evening (but it will need to be constantly juggled as he grows).

I sure hope all the others went to such vigilant homes!

cool that sounds like a plan! :)

Still waiting for matt to get home to help me clean pips bottom!!

Pip now has a nice clean bum! :)

He was really good bless him! Hardly made a fuss being picked up out of hutch, he just needs to feel secure!! :love::love:

Still lots of cecals and a dirty bum daily so think a trip to the vets, just to check nothing else is going on!! :?

Back