• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice needed about pond please

Claire35

New Kit
Hi all now weve finally got some nice weather I want to let our indoor bunny sooty have the run of the garden too as its quite big and I know he would love running around it, its all secured with 6ft fence on all four sides but one problem we have a pond so I came on here to see if anyone has any ideas what I could cover it with so sooty doesnt fall in.. Sooty has now started sitting on the rug staring out of the patio doors even at night when the curtains are closed he goes behind them staring out.....I think its his way of telling us to let him out.

hello :wave:

maybe you could try using that netting stuff that stops birds from eating the fish? then again, it might not be strong enough to hold a bunnehs weight.

There must be some sort of child proofing net/fence that you could use for your bun, though I don't have a pond (yet) so I'm not sure what to suggest.

Good luck though :)

rabbits can swim. if it were me i would fence of an area around the pond but not cover the pond itself with netting (if he did get in i would be worried about him getting tangled in the netting and drowning or injuring himself) and ensure that the pond has a shallow sloped area or a ledge that would ensure that he (or for that matter native wildlife such as hedgehogs) would be able to escape.

if you are really worried, i would put up a little fence around the pond.

Like what you would do if you had a small child running around :)

I have a pond and pretty much all of my bunnies, past and present, have been for a little dip (under supervision of course) :lol:. They can swim and jump straight out again and that's usually the one and only time they go anywhere near the water. As long as they can easily get out I don't think you'll find it's a problem to be honest. But if you feel happier enclosing it, you'll either need at least a 3ft fence all the way around or some kind of framework covered with netting. The black plastic pond netting would be plenty strong enough to hold a bunny's weight - even a big bunny. But you'd need to make sure there was no way bunny could get under it because if it could keep a bunny from falling into the water, it'll also keep a bunny from getting out of the water too.

We got rid of our ponds, partly because of the risk of buns falling in, but also because the vet pointed out they attract mosquitos, which raises the risk of myxy. All the buns are vaccinated, but they can still catch it... :?

Yup - that's true about ponds attracting mozzi's but I can say that we've had a pond and rabbits at the same property for 17 years and (touch wood) never had a case of myxi yet.

We hve a minute pond....about a 10goldfish max type pond. Depending how big yours is we put a big bit of wood over and some bricks when they go out as have had Blue go for swims countless times.
If not a small fence would be good idea.

Yup - that's true about ponds attracting mozzi's but I can say that we've had a pond and rabbits at the same property for 17 years and (touch wood) never had a case of myxi yet.

Ah and we had two cases of myxy (forget name :oops: but it's the sort they get when vaccinated) some months AFTER we got rid of the ponds...:roll: No rhyme or reason to it!! :lol:

I got rid of my pond too, one bunny managed to fall in it when she was suddenly startled and I was worried about an increased Myxi risk.

Can't get rid of our pond - it's my OH's 'baby' and it's the only bit of the garden that's his :lol::lol::lol:. The rest of it belongs to the dogs and the rabbits :D.

We have a water feature with fish in. Its deep and pretty big (barrels with a a pump) I'm trying to get my husband to give our fish to his dad as they have a huge pond and fill the tubs with flowers. Not working yet mind ;)

I'm worried about mixi too espesh since I actually found larvae in there last summer :evil:

The metal pen/fences are good. They stake in to the ground and you can just put them away when your done so no permanant changes to your garden.

Afternoon all and thank you so much for your replies, first of all you learn something new everyday as I didnt know that ponds attract mosquitos :( Ive searched tons of website but they all recommend the net which I know wouldnt hold a bunnies weight so I was wondering whether to get a big piece of wood for now and cover the pond as there isnt any fish in there (we moved here a few months ago and have never got round to getting any).. and one of the weekends get my partner to rid of the pond.

Mmmm after a little think I did think about getting a metal fence and put that around the pond which would make it look better than a piece of wood over it but we have slabs around the edge of the pond so nothing to secure the bottom of the fence to so not sure if Sooty would beable to knock it over..

Mmmm after a little think I did think about getting a metal fence and put that around the pond which would make it look better than a piece of wood over it but we have slabs around the edge of the pond so nothing to secure the bottom of the fence to so not sure if Sooty would beable to knock it over..

Could you not put it around the slabs? Could even fence off that bit of garden with the pen. We have our pen fully otstretched to act as a fence.

Fish eat mosquito larvae so if you got some fish! ;)
Mozzies also won't lay in running water so if you use a pump with an up spray attachment or a little fountain which keeps the water moving/splashing around the mozzies should not lay in it hopefully. We have a small pond with fish and a natural filter using gravel in a planter fixed to the wall above - so the water runs back out of a pipe and splashes back into the pond. No mozzie larvae at all in the two years we've had our little fish pond. :)
Our is a raised pond behind the bunny fence with a rigid steel grid over it the same width as the bunny hutch doors (in fact we used a spare panel). Plus my buns don't jump! :roll::lol:

Back