• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poos strung together with fur argh!

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
This morning I found 3 poos that were strung together with fur, and have found a couple of others the same over the past few days. This is what I have been dreading with Timmys moult (am pretty sure they're Timmys poops as Mimis are a little bigger) especialy as he has had stasis before :? He's eating well (loads of hay), drinking lots and running around like a lunatic at the moment but I know these things can creep up on us silently.:evil: Their other poos are totally normal.

So here comes the paranoia, worry and constant watching of him :( Has anyone got any advise? I'm giving them both fresh pineapple every couple of days at the mo and grooming him regularly. I'm about to go out and buy some fresh leafy herbs for them. I don't think its vet time yet as he's perfectly fine and I dont want to waste their valuable time because I'm being neurotic!
Can the strung together poos just be a normal occurence during moulting or is it definatly something I have to worry about? I have some Metacloperamide in the fridge, should I give him some to keep things moving?

Really worried about my little boy :(

No you do not need to give him anything at this stage or take him to the vet, he sounds fine. The best thing you can do at home when bun is moulting heavily is to brush him daily, if not twice a day, and make sure he has plenty of fibre to push any excess fur he does ingest along and out - as he has been doing! Fur strung poops are a good thing in a way because it means that the fur is passing out - buns are designed to pass certain amounts of fur. I would be far more worried if bun was moulting heavily, not being brushed and was not passing any fur in their droppings.... this to me would be a sign that the fur was lining the GI tract and building up and begining to slow GI motility.

I agree that he sounds ok. What these poos show is that his system is actually coping with the fur because it is going through his system. If the poos get smaller then you're starting to look at a problem. If that happens then ideally you need to try and increase his hydration to help him tummy stay hydrated enough to pass the fur and recover a bit.

OK thanks guys that is abit of a comfort, for now anyway. He's eating loads of hay and drinking lots of water so I don't think I need to increase his hydration just yet. I might reduce his pellets abit over the next few days to encourage him to eat even more hay, but to be honest he's eating loads anyway the little piglet :p

Fingers crossed that this is indeed a good sign that his gut is dealing with the moult :?

xxx

I agree with the other posters. My bun always makes necklaces when he moults, & is also prone to GI issues. With plenty of fiber to keep the gut moving, & well hydrated poops, they come out in a straight line, no probs.
Obviously reducing the fur intake, & keping an eye on the partner bun too (mutual grooming) is a big help.

It's really strange because his partner Mimi isnt moulting, like atall!? And yet Timmy is almost through his moult now, thank god! Do some buns just not moult??
I wonder if it might be because she previously lived outside (we don't know this for sure but she'd been in 2 rescue centres before we bought her home and they had no idea what her circumstances were before.)

I think they moult at different times.

My Herbie moults loads, he is a lionhead cross, and he has no front teeth, so i need to brush him alot.

You should see the amount of fur that comes out in one brushing, its about the same size as him!

I know its nuts isn't it? Must be so irritating for them, no wonder they get abit cranky during this time :( What kind of brush does everyone use? I have a comb and a slightly softer brush, and although Timmy loves the brush he hates the comb, which is probably the more efficient of the two :roll:

I use a metal comb, i kind of hold the fur at the top and brush through with the comb.
I'm quite lucky as Herbie seems to like it alot. He snuggles in when im brushing him, then he licks my cheek when i stand him on his back legs to do his underneath.

Back