PDA

View Full Version : Dry skin - any bunny safe moisturiser?

KarenM
13-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Alfie has very dry skin on both ears (where they were shaved a few wks back for his op). The vet gave me some fuciderm to apply to his ears a couple of weeks ago as, at that time, the skin was very red and sore looking.

The soreness cleared up very quickly, but his ears are now just very dry. Is there anything I can apply to moisturise them?

Kermit
13-04-2010, 10:08 PM
What about Aloe Vera Gel?

Jack's-Jane
13-04-2010, 10:10 PM
What about Aloe Vera Gel?

Ditto to that :)

biscandmatt1
13-04-2010, 10:11 PM
there are some products on the gorgeous guineas website. i have used some of their things on the buns before, aswell as the piggies. they do a soothe gel for dry skin, think there are 3 varieties. if you email chrissie there, she is good at these things and will beable to advise if they would be suitable. :)

Hoppit!
13-04-2010, 10:21 PM
E45 cream is fine. :)

KarenM
13-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. :D I'm out shopping tomorrow, so would preferably like to pick up something while I'm out, but will bear gorgeous guineas in mind too. :D:D

Will the aloe vera or E45 be safe if Bubbles happens to groom Alfie's ears though?

rachylou
13-04-2010, 10:38 PM
I think Sudocreme is safe.

KerinTravis
14-04-2010, 04:41 PM
My vet advised me to use almond oil on Travis once?

Bitzy
15-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Oh I'm glad this has been asked, the bunnie I'm looking after has a couple of dry patches on her back and I was wondering what to put on. She arrived with sudocrem which I put on but it didn't seem to do much except stick her fur together!

I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Anyone know about Bio-Oil?? Would that be suitable??

Mrs Ord
15-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I could be really wrong here but i'm sure I was told years back that it was bad for you to use sudocream too often. Something to do with its contents. God I cant remember the exact reason i'm going to have to investigate hmmm

Just had a look. I'm talking absolute rubbish, but I was definately told that when I was younger :oops::oops::oops:

KarenM
15-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the help all. :love:

I have sudocrem but wondered about it being licked off as it doesn't really seem to be absorbed, it just sits on the skin.

I got some Aloe Vera gel from Holland & Barrett yesterday and there is some improvment already. :D Alfie hates me applying it though and started digging in dh's lap. :lol::lol:

pooks
15-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I could be really wrong here but i'm sure I was told years back that it was bad for you to use sudocream too often. Something to do with its contents. God I cant remember the exact reason i'm going to have to investigate hmmm

Just had a look. I'm talking absolute rubbish, but I was definately told that when I was younger :oops::oops::oops:

The reason for not using sudocrem is cos it contains antibacterials which is obviously not good for a bunny cos if the ingest it, it will kill of gut bacteria and bunnies rely on the gut bacteria to digest their food. I would never use sudocrem at all on a rabbit, but E45 is perfectly fine.
Its important to remeber that rabbit's skin is not the same as our own and products that we use on ourselves are not always suitable for rabbits. Their skin is very skin and delicate. Aloe Vera, when applied, can sting and personally i would not use it on a rabbit. I would stick to using E45.