• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dry skin - any bunny safe moisturiser?

KarenM

Administrator
Staff member
Alfie has very dry skin on both ears (where they were shaved a few wks back for his op). The vet gave me some fuciderm to apply to his ears a couple of weeks ago as, at that time, the skin was very red and sore looking.

The soreness cleared up very quickly, but his ears are now just very dry. Is there anything I can apply to moisturise them?

there are some products on the gorgeous guineas website. i have used some of their things on the buns before, aswell as the piggies. they do a soothe gel for dry skin, think there are 3 varieties. if you email chrissie there, she is good at these things and will beable to advise if they would be suitable. :)

Thanks for the quick replies. :D I'm out shopping tomorrow, so would preferably like to pick up something while I'm out, but will bear gorgeous guineas in mind too. :D:D

Will the aloe vera or E45 be safe if Bubbles happens to groom Alfie's ears though?

Oh I'm glad this has been asked, the bunnie I'm looking after has a couple of dry patches on her back and I was wondering what to put on. She arrived with sudocrem which I put on but it didn't seem to do much except stick her fur together!

I'll try some of the other suggestions.

Anyone know about Bio-Oil?? Would that be suitable??

I could be really wrong here but i'm sure I was told years back that it was bad for you to use sudocream too often. Something to do with its contents. God I cant remember the exact reason i'm going to have to investigate hmmm

Just had a look. I'm talking absolute rubbish, but I was definately told that when I was younger :oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help all. :love:

I have sudocrem but wondered about it being licked off as it doesn't really seem to be absorbed, it just sits on the skin.

I got some Aloe Vera gel from Holland & Barrett yesterday and there is some improvment already. :D Alfie hates me applying it though and started digging in dh's lap. :lol::lol:

I could be really wrong here but i'm sure I was told years back that it was bad for you to use sudocream too often. Something to do with its contents. God I cant remember the exact reason i'm going to have to investigate hmmm

Just had a look. I'm talking absolute rubbish, but I was definately told that when I was younger :oops::oops::oops:

The reason for not using sudocrem is cos it contains antibacterials which is obviously not good for a bunny cos if the ingest it, it will kill of gut bacteria and bunnies rely on the gut bacteria to digest their food. I would never use sudocrem at all on a rabbit, but E45 is perfectly fine.
Its important to remeber that rabbit's skin is not the same as our own and products that we use on ourselves are not always suitable for rabbits. Their skin is very skin and delicate. Aloe Vera, when applied, can sting and personally i would not use it on a rabbit. I would stick to using E45.

Back