• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Those of you with blind rabbits

*lily*

Wise Old Thumper
Do you find that their eyes are always red rimmed? No infection though, nice and clean and dry but just quite red.

Also, Louie blinks in a very strange way, not quickly but sort of long drawn out blinks, sorry can't explain it very well! Kind of like his eyes are half closed a lot of the time?

Anyone relate? :D

my mowgli was blind with cateracts, but his eyes around rim where not any redder then used to be when he could see

can't say I've noticed this with my buns, I mainly notice them scanning or getting a fright when deeply asleep ( Snowy mainly, and I wonder if his hearing isn't too good).

Is it possible your guy has REW heritage? (if you're talking eye pigment over the 'whites' of the eyes).

I don't know the answer, but I never noticed anything strange or different about Boofa's eyes.

Elwood is the only bunny I have with a similar problem to the one you describe, all the other buns are fine.

Is Louis a REW?

Ok just seen your signature :oops::lol::lol:

Why is he blind, has he had any damge to the eye in the past?

Kylo has central blindness, so his eyes are actually fine. But they do get a bit gunky sometimes - his wives keep him clean though.

Sometimes eyes can develop an extra blood supply as they try to heal themselves when something is wrong, which can make the white are look very red. But whether this would happen if a bunny was born blind I wouldn't really know :?

The actual white of the eye is white it's like the rim of the eyes that are red :?

Probably totally unrelated to his blindness :oops:

Is Louie blind?! :shock:

Yes, unfortunately.

I will pop him over to the vets and get him to check for infection though it could be more irritation as the rims of his eyes have always looked reddish and he has always done the odd blinking thing :?

Thanks, Liz :D

Back