• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nail Clipping

briony_y

Young Bun
I was just wondering if it is an issue with rabbits,

I have guineas which are in indoor cages and I clip their nails once every 1-2 months depending on growth, they do not have outdoor playtime unless it is warm enough to put them on the grass and then they don't get their nails worn down.

I am picking up my new rabbits on saturday and they will get run time all year round either on the patio (if grass is wet) or grass if it is nice weather! do they need nail trims if they have patio access each day or is it better just to leave them be?

I will check them once a month if needs be and cut them but just wondered if it was normal for them to wear down by themselves on patio???

I've only had my buns since last August, but they spend a lot of their time on hard ground and each time they've been to the vets she's checked their nails and they've been fine (I check too, but I don't trust my opinion yet!!!)

Like you our piggies have their nails cut every couple of months as they grow quickly and don't get worn down (they live indoors and are rather pampered - their house is next to the fridge:lol:)

mine usually have a trim every 2 months for the bigger bunnies although the neddies nails keep fairly well worn as they are much thinner but still do the same running around.

Thanks will keep an eye on them and see how they get on! I can trim them if needs be just hope they are better at having them done than guineas! lol

I just clipped spots nails as they were getting rather long and there on concrete all the time but then spot is more lazy compared to milly and hers were fine

Back