• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One more? Do I? Dont I?

Do i? Or Dont i?

• Yes

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

LilVicky

Warren Veteran
Ok, so for a little while now i have been thinking about getting another rabbit to join my group of 3, making it a group of 4.

I have had my eye on the bunnies down our Local pub, who had two accidental litters when given two unneutered rabbits.
Theres 1 bun left from the first litter, the rest have all found homes, most probably with children.
And the 2nd litter are not old enough to leave their mum yet.

I just keep changing my mind on whether to have one or not :roll:
I would love another bun, as i feel an empty gap :? maybe because 3 is an odd number. But i wouldn't want any of my three getting upset by the newbie?

Im sure they would bond well, the three of them bonded really well together, but would it be the same with another 1? The newbie will be neutered and Vacc'd before bonding.

Both bunny parents and all the babies are just :love::love::love:

I'll be seeing them again Thursday... probably when i make up my mind..

I keep thinking if i take one, it will be one less bunny going to a child, who may grow bored of it, plus it will be one bunny who will always have a friend and suitable housing. It will make me feel good knowing atleast one of them will have a good home...

Any advice? Opinions?

A baby would rock the bunny boat less than an adult, so I voted yes (as long as the owners didn't decide to become breeders because they found a market for the babes... :?)

Agree with Tinsel.
Also gotta go with the usual question of "can you accomodate 2 pairs/other combination if it goes wrong?" You could end up with 2 pairs or the new bun not bonding in at all, in which case you'd have to get a 5th for a friend - can you do that?
Otherwise i think why not!

I personally would say only a fixed adult (because I would be warey of what the hormones could do to the whole group when they arrive), and agree with VickyVet too, what would you do if they didn't bond or the new addition caused some divorcing?

I would try a rescue, because they can go to the rescue to be bonded, and if it doesnt work, the single bun stays at the rescue, no harm done. If it works, all four come home.

You could still try a young bunny with your trio, i agree with tinsel it may not "rock the boat" as much as a young bunny may be less likely to want to be "boss". However, what would happen if you took on this bun and it didnt work?

Would you be getting a fifth to bond with that rabbit?

You dont want to take on this bun, have it not work, and then need a rescues help. it would be better to try a rescue bun, because if it doesnt work, theres not an extra bun in rescue.

xxx

I think another rabbit would work well with your three but not a baby as you may well get trouble when the hormones set in :?

Agree with Tinsel.
Also gotta go with the usual question of "can you accomodate 2 pairs/other combination if it goes wrong?" You could end up with 2 pairs or the new bun not bonding in at all, in which case you'd have to get a 5th for a friend - can you do that?
Otherwise i think why not!

I agree with Tinsel and VikkiVet :)

im aware of the risks of bonds breaking or not being able to bond etc which is why i am stuck in the middle of this,

The bun will be neutered and vacc'd before bonding with the others, and i will give it a couple of weeks after for the hornmones to calm down.

I wouldnt mind getting another rescue bun but I have looked on Starlights website where i got the girls but the bunnies she has left need to go as single house bunnies and or cant be bonded with my 3.

Not sure how far south you are but if Ipswich is within striking distance of you, we have a good few single males and females (most of whom have had but lost partners). We wouldn't be able to do the bonding, but we would bunny date them at the centre. I appreciate that's a fairly long way though.

Well lastnight me and my mum had a long talk about whether to get another bun or not, either it be a baby or rescue.

We both came to the conclusion to not add another bun to our group. :(
We dont want to risk our current 3 breaking up as they get on soo well! and Toffee is really happy, which is what counts. Adding another bun might upset the balance.

Thanks for all your replies, looks like i will be staying with a trio... until someday in the future when i have my own home and job etc :)

:wave::wave:

We always have Sunshine if you change your mind ;)

Everyone else seems to deem her un-adoptable when told about her/meet her :(

I am sooo bad at this! :(

I went there last night... and well it came bouncing over once again as soon as i bent down and licked me through the bars! :love:

I just cant resist!!

I go all weak at the knees! :oops:

My mum is going to phone her up and ask about the baby, and see if we can have him/her. :)

My birthday is Wednesday, so it will be a little treat :)
Ill be paying for the neuter and Vaccs.

I will be ordering a dog crate this weekend as its bed, it will be freerange during the day and in the crate for bedtime until its neutered and can be bonded. :) The crate will only be used of a night.

I am really bad at resisting such a cutie.. :oops:

Im sure they will bond well, they didnt have problems when bonding as a trio.

*fingers crossed*

Back