PDA

View Full Version : Sticky clothes!!

Bun-Mum-Tammy
13-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi all,

Quick question after gettin anti-biotics all over my PJs whilst trying to give them to Bingley this morning.

How do I get him to drink the stuff? He has to have a syringe of painkiller and a syringe of anti-biotic in the morning and a syringe of pain killer in the evening for the next few days and he's not happy about it at all! I've tried hiding it in food but the sneaky bun can smell it a mile off and eats round it. I can't put it in his water as he shares it with Blakey.

at the moment the best way of giving him them is to hold him whilst standing and have his head over my shoulder so Lee can go round the back and fire the stuff into his mouth - but he's getting good at dodging it hence the PJ episode :). I don't want to stress him out too much after what he's been through so can I ask how everyone else approaches it?

Thanks

Tammy x

Kermit
13-04-2010, 09:24 AM
I put Incas Metacam on a basil leaf, then kinds sandwich another one on top and feed her it.

I used to put Kermits baytril inside a sugar snap pea or mange tout, id make a slit in the top and squirt it in.

Mashed up banana works well to, just mash it up with the meds in.

Bun-Mum-Tammy
13-04-2010, 09:27 AM
Suger snaps - perfect - I have some in the fridge - I'll give it a go this evening with his painkiller

paulinejoe
13-04-2010, 11:03 AM
:lol: I also ended up wearing more of Joes baytril and metacam than went in his mouth on more than one occasion - the vet recommended drawing up the baytril then drawing up a bit of squash like blackcurrant which is supposed to help make it a bit more palatable - although it does also mean more liquid in the syringe.... After trying all sorts of things, the only thing that kind of worked was to put a massive towel down on the kitchen floor in the corner, pop him down on the towel with his head in the corner then quickly wrap him up like a burrito kneeling behind him then get the syringe in as quickly as possible - the syring needs to go in to the side fo their mouth behind their big front teeth too, not from the front which is what i was doing to start with :oops: Good luck and hope Bingley bunny is feeling better soon :)

Bun-Mum-Tammy
13-04-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks, I'll keep a towel handy in case the sugar snaps don't go down :) Little tyke he is, hee hee

Tammy x

heleni
13-04-2010, 04:12 PM
I put Metacam on a bit of wet brown bread - run the bread under a tap very briefly, then drop on the medicine and it soaks in nicely. The rabbits are so greedy for bread that they don't notice. I recommend having another piece handy (dry, so you don't confuse them) if you have another rabbit who will try to scoff it first. Not used Baytril so don't know if the same method would work.