• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I think my bunny is sick...

Apples88

New Kit
2 days ago i got a male lop eared rabbit from a respected breeder. He lives in the south and I in the Midlands so my rabbit had quite a journey to get up here but he made it safe and sound. Up till now everything has been great. Oliver (my bunny) doesn't really like to be touched but he was eating and drinking and everything was fine.
Today i spent HOURS cleaning out the cage and i replaced all his old bedding and hay with fresh new stuff that i bought from Pets at Home. I also used some cage fresh granules because it was really smelly before. All seemed well until i woke up a few hours ago from my nap and he has just been REALLY lethargic. He isn't hopping around like earlier. In face he isn't really moving at all. He isnt eating (not even hay) or more worryingly drinking. He wont play with his toys or anything he is just lying under my bed. I was worried he may have eaten some of the granules/wood shavings but he seemed fine earlier. The last wee i noted him having was brown but i'm not sure if that's odd because i haven't had him very long but he did pass three sticky stools. I dunno if its quite diarrhoea but its a not his normal pellets. The real reason i'm so worried is that my friend rabbit died yesterday. They shared a car at one point and really hoping it wasn't anything he may have caught as they weren't actually in the same cage. I know he isn't well because he just let me rub is side whereas usually he wouldn't. What can i do? The vet is quite far and i cant get there tonight. Please help!:cry:

P.s. He didnt have wood shavings b4 he had woodchips. I dunno if that might make a difference.

There is really no advice if your bunny is not eating/drinking/moving that anyone can give you other than take him to a vet. He needs an examination by someone qualified and potentially some medication. If he is still not eating this morning he must see a vet today.

Back