• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

blue eyed bunnies!

skippersmom

Warren Scout
I heard from someone that its super rare, i love my blue eyed bun :)

Whats the real story behind the blue eye thing? its just genetics right?

I want to see pics :)
IMG_9908.jpg

Fixed the picture haha!

Last edited:
Blue eyes are usually a result of the resicive form of the vienna gene (v).
But some rabbits that have the dilute gene (blue, choc etc. ) they can have slate colour eyes which look almost blue.

Blue eyes are usually a result of the resicive form of the vienna gene (v).
But some rabbits that have the dilute gene (blue, choc etc. ) they can have slate colour eyes which look almost blue.

Yeah, they're not hugely rare. Not common in some breeds, but a lot of people breed vienna marked buns because they look pretty :roll:

Yeah, they're not hugely rare. Not common in some breeds, but a lot of people breed vienna marked buns because they look pretty :roll:

Yes...you see alot of vienna marked nethies around...people trying to get BEW nethies which are fairly rare.
My vienna marks never had blue eyes:( they would have be gorgeous aswell:lol::love:

The BEW gene creates the viennas. A full BEW inherits two BEW genes (one from each parent), a vienna marked rabbit has inherited one BEW gene from the parents (i.e. from one parent but not another).

If you breed two BEWs then you can get BEWs (25% I believe), Viennas (50%) and regular colours (i.e. your selfs, otters, etc, whatever is in the genes of the parents).

If you breed a vienna to a BEW (same as if you breed vienna and vienna) then you can get BEWs, viennas and regular.

If you breed vienna and plain then you will get some vienna and some regular.

The colours that go with vienna is any and depends on the genes of the parents.

I have two BEWS and their cousin who is a black vienna. Lovely bunnies they are :D albeit a bit thick.

My sister had a dutch with one regular brown eye and one eye that was half brown and half blue. He looked quite odd! :lol:

Not a brill picture but its the best on I have that shows his eyes without any red eye from the camera...

Comet

photo.jpg

Back