• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rex issues

dawnieb

Warren Scout
I noticed in another thread someone referring to "rex issues". I have two and was wondering exactly what health problems people associate with the breed? Obviously I am careful with their hocks but what else should I be looking out for?

:oops:

In my personal experience the problems I have noted Rexes can *sometimes* be prone to are:

Pododermatitis (sore hocks)
Poor Eye Sight
Heart Disease
GI tract problems

'Bad' breeding seems to be the main factor in all cases. IE Breeding for looks not health.

Some breeders have fed their bunnies medicated pellets (or something to this effect), and I know someone who does breed rexes (and does not feed those pellets) and any blue rexes she came across had health problems because they had no immune system due to these medicated pellets. She said she always lost those very early for a whole variety of reasons, and blues seem to be affected more than anything else.

Oh yes, they are both naughty, so much so my housemate calls them the ASBO's!

Thanks everyone. I am always amazed at the amount of knowledge people have on the forum, I feel so lucky to be able to share.

yeah winston is a rogue!
He has very sore feet and I was told to keep weight down on him to prevent feet getting worse but keeping weight off also protects him from heart attacks as this is common in these breeds I was told anyway.
but they are soooo gorgeous

:oops: I think it was me that used the expression 'rex issues'.
But earlier posters have covered them.
The Rex in question has hocks that need looking after, is greedy so was too tubby when adopted & of course is very very naughty!

Yes, I think I saw it in your response on the healthy buns thread.

My boys have been putting on some weight recently as they have been living in doors. Now the weather is getting warmer they are both off outside. Little greedy boys but I love them anyway! :love:

Back