• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to introduce....

Becca24

Mama Doe
I am just sitting here thinking about food for Pip and was wondering when I should start to introduce the following:

His new pellets Science Selective (he is currently having unlimited pellets that breeder gave me)
Leafy greens
Variety of Hays i.e oat, timothy (he has just meadow hay atm)
Herbs
Fruit/treats
Grass

I am assuming not yet as he is 6 weeks old, although he has had carrot because when we picked him up some was in his hutch and she put it in the carrier with him and he ate it all, so do i assume he is ok on carrot and continue to give him some now and then?

I have never been as worried about buns diet as I am now but he is so young and I have read so much about stasis and all the tummy problems that I dont want to cause him any probs.

Thanks
x

His tummy is going to be very delicate because of the early weaning, which means he is going to have a lower immune system and be at risk from more stomach problems than your average rabbit, so I would say err on the side of caution.

His new pellets Science Selective (he is currently having unlimited pellets that breeder gave me)- Gradually (but super gradually) change maybe from about 10 weeks old or so.
Leafy greens- I would wait until 4 months at the earliest, but later if he shows a sensitive tummy. Also don't introduce anything while you are transitioning him to SS.
Variety of Hays i.e oat, timothy (he has just meadow hay atm)- I would say that he can have different types now, but plain things like timothy hay, not anything like botanical hay with bits in.
Herbs- same as leafy greens.
Fruit/treats- I would wait until after the leafy greens and herbs to do fruit.
Grass- The spring grass is very rich and can cause tummy problems in healthy normal rabbits. I started giving Autumn one blade of grass (yes, seriously), when he was about 3 months old. And we increased blade by blade. You don't necesarily have to be that careful, but it does need to be done slowly.

His tummy is going to be very delicate because of the early weaning, which means he is going to have a lower immune system and be at risk from more stomach problems than your average rabbit, so I would say err on the side of caution.

His new pellets Science Selective (he is currently having unlimited pellets that breeder gave me)- Gradually (but super gradually) change maybe from about 10 weeks old or so.
Leafy greens- I would wait until 4 months at the earliest, but later if he shows a sensitive tummy. Also don't introduce anything while you are transitioning him to SS.
Variety of Hays i.e oat, timothy (he has just meadow hay atm)- I would say that he can have different types now, but plain things like timothy hay, not anything like botanical hay with bits in.
Herbs- same as leafy greens.
Fruit/treats- I would wait until after the leafy greens and herbs to do fruit.
Grass- The spring grass is very rich and can cause tummy problems in healthy normal rabbits. I started giving Autumn one blade of grass (yes, seriously), when he was about 3 months old. And we increased blade by blade. You don't necesarily have to be that careful, but it does need to be done slowly.

Thats brilliant thanks!

Good job we decided to put the run on the decking so he can still go out without being on grass!

Going to pop out and get some timothy hay shortly!

I keep forgetting how young he is, not used to having such a youngun. I feel that the breeder couldnt bebothered with this bit and so easier for her to just pass them on and let us do it, regardless as to whether we know what we are doing or not! Ggggrrr winds me up thinking about it!!

I mean dont get me wrong I have a fair idea what I am doing but its nice to get other peoples opinions and advice - bit like when I had chloe I read books and went on forums to help and support what I already knew!

I dont want to be a pain though!! :lol:

You're not a pain and you won't be a pain, so don't worry about that. I hope he likes his yummy timothy hay :)

Back