• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay?

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
How much hay do your buns eat a day, or do you put down?

I tend to put down huge handfuls every morning and night, so they are never without. But Angel and Blake seem to poo in theirs (but no wee) and i'm wondering if I'm putting down too much and could put down less to avoid throwing it away when it's covered in poos!!?

My boys get plenty of hay fresh each day on the floor as they like to lie down in it whilst they're eating. They also have hayracks, but I only put a small amount in those as they never bother to eat it from there. I figure it's not that expensive, and it's really good for them, so I'd rather they had too much and wasted some than not enough.:)

I fill Louie's litter tray with it and change it every evening.

I end up throwing loads away too.

too much haha :roll:
mum fills hay racks in morning, i do them again late morning, again in afternoon and again in evening before bed :oops: my bunnies eat tonnes of hay!

ETA - just thought i would say, there not actually hay racks, i call them that, they are the half circle planter things... if that makes sense :wave:

Last edited:
I always find hayracks quite small as I like to give mine tonnes, so I put two of those cheest freezer baskets attached and fill it up.
I put some hay on the floor too so they use that as a liter tray.

alvin does most of his hay eating between 8am & 10am i think. he will eat/flatten almost a alvin sized pile, but that is to get at the bramble leaves.. after that he dont seem to eat all that much through the day. small amounts during the evening, a sitting of no more than 10mins seems to do him a couple of times a day.. no wonder his gut slows :roll:.. he does love his oat wheat and barley hay so a couple of handfuls of that will dissapear during the night. some of that would of been pearl too, but she ate less hay the poorlier she got and alvin seemed to eat more :shock:

ok well I'll carry on with too much rather than not enough! :D

Throwing away doesn't really bother me as it's only £5 per bale and it still lasts me a month for 4 buns!

I bought a wall hanging flower basket thing which I put the hay in, but they only pull it all out and eat if from the floor anyway! :roll::lol:

I only put it in the litter tray now and Louie munches on it all day long.

I got a massive cardboard box that I filled with hay but Louie has never bothered with it. The cat just sleeps in there mostly!

Back