• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Green oat hay

amyhhh

Alpha Buck
Has anyone had a new bag of burns green oat hay recently? We just had a lot arrive today, and the first bag I have opened has a lot of a plant that has furry/fuzzy/fluffy white stalks (i thought it was bits of white string at first) in it :?. Does anyone know what this is, or whether it is harmful?

Thanks! :wave::wave::wave:

Amy

We have loads of it here. Does it look like furry little catkins, like the top of wheat? If so it is just the very top of the hay, the husks and are fine for the buns

yes, the top bits look like furry catkins, on top of furry stalks! Glad to hear that it is ok for Hector to munch on. THanks for replying :wave::wave:

This is actually the seed heads of the oat plant and so they are not only safe but particularly nutritious and valuable for your bunnies to eat.

Hector seems to be enjoying it! I was worried that he might be put off by the fuzz, but he is not bothered :)

Back