• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very worried about Snowy.

Mel D

Warren Scout
Snowy has gi statis attacks quite frequently I took him down to the pdsa vets for the first time and the vet said that his stomach was a bit sore and he needed painkiller and a gut stimulant they gave to to him by injection and then told me that all their drugs are unlisenced and are given at our risk they don't do any rabbit medication. soon as he got home he has been running around and eating everything in site.
The vet also said that he might have to have painkillers everyday for the rest of his life.
I would of thought they would xray his stomach then see whats wrong.
Has anyone else been to the pdsa or had this experience.
I hope he survives the night.

How long ago was it that he poo'ed?
Jimby has quite regular GI statis attacks too, he is given pain relief and gut stimulants throughtout the bout.
Your bun should not need pain relief for the rest of his life, or at least the vet should be ruling out anything more serious before saying that.
GI Statis is a result from another problem so it would be worth trying to get to the base of the problem.

How long ago was it that he poo'ed?

He is pooing small amounts but they are all different sizes large,small, some joined together with string.
He is only eating small amounts of grass,dandelions,parsley but around a mouthful of hay and nuggets. The vet said that he doesn't need nuggets.

Whilst he is in statis the most important thing to do is to make sure he KEEPS eating, so if he wants to eat pellets that is fine. Once he gets through this bout maybe decrease the amount of pellets he has (around an egg cup full (or less) per day) but like I say the post important thing right now is to keep his guts going with anything he will eat, try some nice fragrant herbs (Basil, Mint and Basil) these sometimes get them eating again. Also make sure he stays well hydrated as if he dehydrates all the food and hair in his tummy could form a stubburn mass and make it very painful for him.
If he is drinking on his own then that is good but if not then try syringing either water or a cooled boiled tea like nettle or peppermint.
The string poops you mention is him trying to pass all the hair in his tummy, at the moment as long as he is pooping that is the main thing so just ensure things are going in and coming back out.
Also make sure you regulate his body temperature as buns who are not well can not regulate themselves.

Vibes for snowy:)

I agree with what rachylou said about him eating, even if it's pellets. Having issues with my stroppy mare and I asked my vet if she's ok to eat just pellets in the short term, the vet was very positive about it as long as it is just short term though.

As for herbs, all my buns go ape:censored: for dill :D

I took Snowy back to the pdsa because he didn't poo all night and didn't want his breakfast. They gave him another 2 injections like yesterday this time i found out what they were he had 0.25mls of metoclop and 0.22mls of meloxicam. The vet yesterday said he was tender in a couple of places at the very bottom of his stomach as well as saying that it was odd to see food still in his mouth and his teeth being yellow.
The vet today said that I don't know what is wrong, I asked him for a xray but he didn't see the need too, I asked him how many poos should they do a day he said he didn't know. Does anyone know if these drugs are safe on rabbits and what they are for?
Thanks

Metaclopromide is a gut stimulant. Both my boys had this post neuter, and Apollo also had this when he had ilues. I think the otherone might be a painkiller. There are very few meds that are licienced for bunnies, but that doesn't mean that they aren't safe.

Just a thought can your vet not give you additional gut stimulant and pain relief to administer at home. Sometime statis can be stressed related so it may help if you don't have to keep taking him in everytime he needs a top up.

Maybe ask your vet for ZANTAC which is another form of gut stimulant, this can be given orally along side the metacloprimide, so if you are able to syring feed him you could do this one at home.
It does not sound like the vets you are with are very 'rabbit savvy' to be honest, maybe trying another vet would be advisable.
When you say he had food in his mouth and yellow teeth, what exactly do you mean? That he had unchewed bits of food in his mouth or he was in the middle of actually eating it when the vet was looking? Also did the vet do a full examination of his teeth?

I think that the vet looked into his mouth when he had just eaten a piece of hay.
He has only done 2 tiny poos today even after having the injection, he has eaten a little hay,carrot and parsley.
I don't usually go to the pdsa but I can't afford my old vet they have got very expensive.
The vet didn't really know alot about rabbits I asked questions but they didn't know the answers.
He said his teeth were ok no blockages or bloat in stomach.
Has anyone had a rabbit who didn't really eat alot or poo alot but seemed quite happy in him/her self?
Snowy probably did 30 poos yesterday and only 2 so far today and I don't think the vet will do any xrays until he loses weight again.

Once in statis it can take some time until the gut really gets going again, it is a good sign that he has done ANY poops to be honest so as long as he keeps eating it will need to come out, hopefully he will grace you with a nice pile tomorrow! :D

It may be worth trying INFACOL which is a med for babies for wind and gripe pains, it can sometimes calm buns tums down.

Hi, Snowy has only done a couple of poos last night I changed his litter tray at 10 oclock this morning and now he has done 41 so far today but they are all shapes and sizes and some strung together. Is this normal? and is this enough poos?
The vet wants to put him on meloxicam for the rest of his life instead of further tests.

To me this sounds normal for a bun in statis, when Jims is in statis his guts sometimes starts in fits and bursts, he did no poops for 4 days once!
As long as he is eating and it is coming out (even if slowely) then I would not worry for now.
As to putting him on the meds for the rest of his life I really would seak a second opinion, he should at least be investigating as to WHY he feels that is necersary in the first place.

I did ask the vet why the medication was necessary she said he has just a couple of tender spots in his stomach and he just needs them so he can eat properly. I said to her I think he needs an xray just incase its stones or furballs she doesn't think that is necessary at this stage because the tender spots are not over the kidney area. And he would have to have an anasetic to do the xray. My other vets would do the xray when my rabbits awake so I will have to save up £100 to get another vet to do it.
I sometimes think that snowy is just spoilt and will only eat his favourite food and likes running about the house all day.
In the mornings when I go downstairs to feed them snowy will have nuggets left from the night before and doesn't seem to want to eat but when I put in carrot,parsley and dandelion leaves he soon eats that or if not sniff it then eat it 5 minutes later, he is a strange one.
He's not like my other rabbits that soon as I put the nuggets in the cage they eat them all up straight away.

have you had a full dental check done on snowy before on his molars? Bailey has frequent stasis bouts as her jaw is mis-aligned, its a really common problem with lops
x

Are you able to talk to your previous vet and maybe explain that you are having trouble finacially atm, would they be willing to let you pay in installments?

yeah id say a second opionion wouldnt hurt, if it is his teeth he wont get better till theyve been filed down etc... x

Back