• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving bunnies.

mia'n'patch

Alpha Buck
It's not something I really want to think about at the minute but i'm goin to have to.
I know Homer is going to be so lost without Patch and i've never dealt with a grieving bun before and I know this sounds really thick, but I don't know how to handle it. How can I make things easier for him?
Whilst my heart is beaking for Patch, it's also breaking for Homer.

We are in the same situation with Hector as we just lost Honey :cry::cry:. Its so hard to see him all on his own without another bun to snuggle with, but he seems to be doing ok at the moment. We are just trying to spend lots of time with him so he doesn't feel too lonely, and giving him lots of headrubs.

Hugs and noserubs for Homer

Its important that he sees her body if at all possible, and spends some time with it so that he can understand where she has gone and what has happened to her.

Having said that, they are currently apart, so it may not be in his best interests to do that. How is he doing at the moment?

You can give him a cuddly toy if you think he won't chew/eat it and harm himself, also a heat source can be nice to snuggle with.

Sky-O. They're not apart. My vets have been brilliant with letting Homer stay with Patch whenever she's been in hospital and normally having him there perks her up no end. I've made the decision to have her PTS this evening as seeing her in the hospital this afternoon broke my heart and I can't bear the thought of her suffering any more.

I know Homer has to see her to understand but for how long? I really don't know if I could deal with bringing her home and I don't know if I dare ask the vet to keep them both overnight.

Ah ok, sorry. I think he does need to see her body after she has died, in a place where he feels safe (if at all possible).

I think the amount of time depends on the bunny. He may already know its coming so may not need that much time, but some bunnies need longer. I tend to leave mine together for at least an hour, but often two. I know of someone who had to leave hers together for a long time because the girlie didn't understand, and she was dragging food over for the boy to eat. Heart breaking.

Could you ask if they could spend some time together in the cage after she has been PTS, and wait around for a while and then bring him home?

Poor Homer has been grooming her and nudging her, trying to cheer her up, and you can see in his little face that he know's somethings wrong.

I'm going to ask the nurses at the vets about the possibility of leaving them together for an hour or so after and then picking Homer up.

im so sorry your having to go through this experience.. i wouldnt wish it on an enemy :cry::cry::cry::cry:

hope Homer is ok when you get him back home :cry::cry::cry:

Back