• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding Pedigree Rabbits is it right?

Oh dear. I know what will happen with this thread.

I definitely see what you are saying. The pedigrees are bred for showing generally though, which is not necessarily what is best for the bunnies.

If you look at what is best for bunnies, and what is best for the owner, then those can be two very different things.

To be honest I don't know much about it. We bought G + P (pure bred Dutch) from a breeder who shows his buns at Royal Cornwall, yet they still have dental issues (Ginger is every 3 weeks!!) and Ginge has always had tummy problems as well...

I'm not into breeding *at all*, but I would suggest that there are levels of in-breeding in animals, eg. between one particular breed (but obtaining animals from elsewhere, so unrelated) and breeding from brother to sister etc etc. To say pedigrees are in-bred is a slight generalisation.

Many people serious about breeding pedigree rabbits will know the history of the rabbits, and will know if there's anything wrong genetically, unlike many people who breed cross breeds.

Back