• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pictures of bunnies and piggies from "rescue"/ girls are home, Merlin admitted

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Pictures of bunnies and piggies from "rescue"/ girls are home, Merlin admitted

In response to a request in transport yesterday, Steve travelled down the M25 late yesterday evening to collect some bunnies and piggies from what appears to be an animal horder :(

They did have clean cages, but they were all 3 ft or less and had no time out from them at all. They were wedged in a room with ferret cages and the ferrets were let out to roam, so no doubt climbed all over the rabbits and piggys. They have also been fed a really terrible diet, and seem to have no idea what veg is :?

All of them are completely terrified. Two of the rabbits will be staying with us, the others are going to Hoppers rescue at the weekend :)

Meet Merlin, absolute petrified and hasn't poo'd or eaten :( I have picked him up but he was traumatised, so I think i will leave him alone for now and hope things start moving as he feels more settled :? He is Very over weight

P4120725.jpg

P4120726.jpg

This is Renoir a 9 year old nethie

P4120729.jpg

And Maisey, also 9 years. Her jaw line is awful, her breathing is terrrible, she is drinking like crazy and I think she may be blind :?

P4120728.jpg

P4120730.jpg

Both Renoir and Maisey are seeing the vet tomorrow.

Here is one set of terrified piggies

P4120732.jpg

And I think these are the other 2, although they may be the same piggy. they wouldn't stay still as they are so scared and both look very similar

P4120733.jpg

P4120734.jpg

Last edited:
I can't see the pictures at work Liz so I'll have to have a look tonight when I get home. But well done for removing them from a bad situation. Steve's so good to be driving all over the place collecting animals.

oh gosh poor things. Merlin looks terrified. Where there more bunnies and piggies there too? So glad they will have a better life from now on x

we have taken all the bunnies and piggies, but there were dogs, cats, ferrets, birds, chinchillas, stick insects, snails and lots of reptiles including bearded dragons, snakes and toads :shock:

Yes the 9 year olds are staying here. I am honesty I don't think Maisey could travel any further :(

Two of the piggies already have a home lined up but Merlin is definately going to need a lot of extra TLC to bring him round.

Steve ended up staying over 2 hours as the owner was proudly showing off all her animals. He is now covered in flea bites all over his legs :(

OMG, Merlin is twice the size he was from the picture I have :shock: Plenty of running and exercise for him!

We have also removed the 2 lovebirds and 3 chinchillas (chins are going to a chin rescue) The lady wont part with anything else at the moment :cry: Our worries are all the animals are kept in tiny cages, cleaned as and when she can/will (Her daughter whizzed round yesterday to clean the cages before any of us turned up) Animals have been removed before apperently. Non are getting out the cages at all except the ferrets as far as we know.

OMG, Merlin is twice the size he was from the picture I have :shock: Plenty of running and exercise for him!

We have also removed the 2 lovebirds and 3 chinchillas (chins are going to a chin rescue) The lady wont part with anything else at the moment :cry: Our worries are all the animals are kept in tiny cages, cleaned as and when she can/will (Her daughter whizzed round yesterday to clean the cages before any of us turned up) Animals have been removed before apperently. Non are getting out the cages at all except the ferrets as far as we know.

That explains it then. Steve said all the cages were clean but the house itself wasn't. It is so sad to think she doesn't even know what she is doing is wrong. She really thinks she loves them and is really proud of them :(

It is sad :( I am glad in a way she has asked for help so far and is starting to recognise there is a problem and far too many animals to care for properly. I just hope she will part with more so they can be helped also.

Yeh I spoke to her on the phone and she said they desperatly needed cleaning out. When I called back to confirm you and Ross would be there that night she quickly ushered in er daughter had come round to clean cages, I could hear her daughter in the back say "eugghh these stink" and she shhd her daughter :(

Horders genuinly beleive they are caring right for the animals and genuinly love them, but they sadly cant see past where there not providing the right care and think the animals are better with them than anyone else :(

yuk

I didn't know horders existed! Yuk - what exactly was her purpose? Can't the RSPCA intervene? How did she choose which ones she would 'let' you have? Well done for intervening.

I didn't know horders existed! Yuk - what exactly was her purpose? Can't the RSPCA intervene? How did she choose which ones she would 'let' you have? Well done for intervening.

Yeh there alot of horders about, get them selves in a mess and cant cope.

At the moment we are trying to avoid rspca contact. She is being monitored by another rescue localy (hence us being asked to take all these) at the moment people are being polite and friendly to keep her on a good side as we dont want shutting out and then she refuses to hand more over, which in turn could lead to her getting more again. Its caged animals she is struggling with the most.

Apperently she chose the buns, pigs and chins because the excuse was the wood shavings were causing her breathing problems.. I didnt argue the fact there is other substrates that are better or she wouldnt of let us take what we have. Mind you I hope she wasnt keeping the birds on shavings :?

The purpose, well horders genuinly beleive they are caring correctly and do love animals. They just dont understand the way they are doing it is wrong.

She did offer us the cages but unfortunately we couldn't get them in the car as we had taken extra carry boxes just in case... But hopefully that means she doesn't want to replace them.

Back