• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swelling post neuter

Amy104

Warren Veteran
How long should it take to subside. Comet and Apollo are much more swollen than any of the others ever were but there is no heat or pus or anything that would suggest an infection.

Last edited:
Swelling still hasn't subsided. Got them both booked in for a vet trip. Surely the can't both have infections?

I haven't given them any as they don't appear to be in any discomfort. They seem perfectly fine in themselves, eating and drinking is normal. I do have some metacam tho so its not a problem to give them some.

If you are worried then I would suggest consulting a vet, but if something is that swollen it will be hurting. Plus, because Metacam is an anti inflammatory it should help with the swelling, but check with a vet.

Assuming they are males, the sacks can fill with fluid afterwards especially if they have been quite active. If it hasn't gone down after a couple of days they definately need a vet trip.

I am sure they will be fine once the vet has seen them, good luck :)

When were they neutered? I had this problem with my buck after his neuter - he was a bit swollen at the time of his follow-up check-up, and was given metacam and i think an antibiotic injection. The swelling quickly went down after this and there were no other problems. My vet at the time said this was relatively common, and they would only consider it a serious issue if the swelling didn't subside after the antibiotic and painkiller injections.

If your two are just a bit swollen but there's no heat or puss or anything, hopefully it's just a routine post-op thing that can be easily fixed.
Good luck!

They are already booked in as soon as I finish work.

Assuming they are males, the sacks can fill with fluid afterwards especially if they have been quite active. If it hasn't gone down after a couple of days they definately need a vet trip.

It certainly sounds like that could be it. If it was post op I wouldn't think anything of it but they had their ops on Friday so I was kind of expecting things to of retracted a bit by now.

Well the good news is that nothing sinister is wrong with either of them, they are just taking a bit longer than some bunnies. :D

Back