• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumper's stopped drinking, U/D home - it's been stasis.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
I guess you all know about Thumper's malocclusion dental issues, & how it affects both his gut motility & urine.
This time he won't drink although is eating a reasonable amount with metacam daily.
I have to be very careful not to increase his veg, or his gut plays up. Obviously I've tried wetting it.
His urine volume has tailed off to about 2 cc daily, with frustration he can't wee much. although his bladder is not distended.
Obviously I have tried to syringe him water. He's now learned not to swallow at all, so it dribbles out of his mouth.
On the other hand he loves his metacam.

I'm really worried that it seems very difficult/impossible to medicate him orally now.
I don't think it's my technique because even bunny savvy vets have great difficulty getting critical care into him.
I've run out of ideas.

Last edited:
I don't know if it would work for rabbits, but a trick to get horses drinking is to put some apple juice in their water.
I have no idea if that will upset a bunny's guts or cause other problems, sorry.

can the vet let you give him injections of fluid when hes really off hun just to keep him ticking over? hope your both ok xxxxx

What about sub-cutaneous fluids? A medium sized bun who is drinking a small amount needs about 30mls of hartmanns twice a day.

Thank you so much foryour suggestions. I'll try both. We're due a dental tomorrow afternoon. These last few days are so difficult, especially now it's getting warmer.

Thank you abbeymarysmokey. I've been trying to get 40 cc in, but I'm losing a lot, & his urine volume isn't picking up. I'm also worried that he needs metacam for these last 3-4 days, & worried sick what's happening to his blood levels if he's hardly weeing & renal effects.

We do know that his renal function was very good on routine test2 months ago.

Thank you I'll give that a try too.
For today, I think I'm forced to dilute down his metacam - lots of crossed fingers.

Thank you Sky-O. It's molar malocclusion with some root elongation probably not causing issues yet. Extraction would be major surgery involving access from the mandible & the roots are healthy, so it would be difficult, high risk & extensive.

The spurs are tiny, on the lingual side. It hurts when he moves his tongue & for some reason liquids give more issues than solids. Alternatively & more likely, he's learned to economise on tongue movement by getting as much fluid as he can from fresh food.

When I broke one of my teeth, the tooth didn't hurt at all, but it was like having a razor in my mouth at the slightest tongue movement. I was begging the dentist for treatment after 24 hours!! Much worse than toothache!! So I assume this is what it's like for buns with lingual spurs.

Ah right, sorry. I didn't realise it was the molars. My bad. I see your dilemmas.

I would try and entice him with flavoured waters and see if that helps maybe. You can try Twinings Infusions teas (those safe for rabbits, so mint, some berry ones- check the berries- chamomile), you can try vanilla essence, freshly squeezed juice and for bunnies with stable tummies fruit juices (just a tiny amount enough to add a small amount of flavour) can work.

Poor bunny and poor you. What a horrid situation.

Thank you abbeymarysmokey. I've been trying to get 40 cc in, but I'm losing a lot, & his urine volume isn't picking up. I'm also worried that he needs metacam for these last 3-4 days, & worried sick what's happening to his blood levels if he's hardly weeing & renal effects.

We do know that his renal function was very good on routine test2 months ago.

Are you having difficulty with the sub-q fluids? Is it something we could help with?

we have had a bun who had to have molar extraction before (there was no other option as he actually had no opposing tooth). The op went very well so perhaps something to consider going forward if it continues to cause serious problems.

try wetting his pellets into a toothpaste like mush.

The only other thing I could suggest is if you can find someone who can do consious dentals and have him done every X? weeks before he actually shows signs of needing a dental.

Thank you Sky-O. It's molar malocclusion with some root elongation probably not causing issues yet. Extraction would be major surgery involving access from the mandible & the roots are healthy, so it would be difficult, high risk & extensive.

The spurs are tiny, on the lingual side. It hurts when he moves his tongue & for some reason liquids give more issues than solids. Alternatively & more likely, he's learned to economise on tongue movement by getting as much fluid as he can from fresh food.

When I broke one of my teeth, the tooth didn't hurt at all, but it was like having a razor in my mouth at the slightest tongue movement. I was begging the dentist for treatment after 24 hours!! Much worse than toothache!! So I assume this is what it's like for buns with lingual spurs.

I have had the very same thing and concur with how uncomfortable it is. I have never though of the connection to bunny's spurs, but how true it must be. I recall drinking was just as uncomfortable as eating, so it is no wonder the poor buns with dental spurs have such trouble.

Are you having difficulty with the sub-q fluids? Is it something we could help with?

I've never given sub cut fluids, as he's only just learned not to swallow.

Finding something palatable seems to be a way forward. I've just diluted 1/2 dose of metacam with 10cc tepid water & he took it really well.
Next 1/2 dose + tepid water in 1/2 hour.

(If you take the plunger out of a 1ml syringe a 10cc syringe will fit in the top. You need quite large hands & it's a bit of a balancing act but works.)

Thank you for the suggestion re his pellets. Science selective gives less GI issues than veg in Thumper's case. I've moistened them so they're still solid but soft. At least it's less dry food.

I've just got another 20cc in, a few drops of vanilla in a mug of tepid water & subterfuge of covering the end of the syringe with metacam to get him interested.
Thank you so much Sky_O I'd have never thought of vanilla.

Knowing my bun it won't work for long. I'll get a nice juicy apple in as a last resort. He's such an acute sense of smell/taste I can dilute down the fresh juice to reduce the total sugar content.

Now the wait for wee, & more fluids if he doesn't wee.

Thank you so much everyone. Please keep all ideas coming in.
I love Thumper so much for the personality that he is. When Thumper "says" no, unfortunately he means no, & the only conflict we have is medication, which is hardly surprising if his tongue hurts.

I'm really glad it helped :) I would really talk to your vet and find out about doing Sub Q fluids for him. That could make things a lot less stressful for you all.

Hi Judy, sorry to hear Thumps is struggling with his fluids today :(

You've already had some great suggestions. I think doing the sub-cuts yourself if you can might be a good idea for emergencies - but i know how fiesty thumps is if it were just you holding and injecting him.:?

I ALWAYS find herbal tea to be the best solution for oral fluids. Nino like camomile and spearmint (twinings) best, and Poppy prefers the fennel and nettle (twinings) it makes such a difference to just plain water which is refused. I make it normally in a mug and let it cool to room temp with the tea bag in for extra flavour. I prefer to use a 1ml syringe and just do 1ml at a time as it saves flooding the mouth too quickly and for some reason they prefer to take it in tiny amounts as if they would if lapping it up.
If you want me to post you a collection of herbal tea bags to try next time just drop me an email! Take care x

p.s. there is no sugar in herbal tea! :thumb:

How does he like recovery diet Judy? When Ginge is in these phases, and refuses to drink water, I give him 'bunny juice' (a pinch of recovery in water) which he yums.

Loads and loads of vibes for the little man.

Back