• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm Still Not Sure She's Feeding Them

princessdanii

Warren Scout
I've just been to check on mummy & she was sat on top of her kits so i just left her for a couple of minutes & moved away to give her space, When she got off i went over to check on them & to me they still don't look like they've been fed, I don't know if its just me asking for too much & worrying too much but how fat do they go?! Has anyone got any pics???, One kit was all the way to the otherside of the cage, So i moved the kit with the rest of the babies. They don't look slim but they don't look round :?:?

Its been nearly 48hours now depending on when they was born but there all still alive & well so she must be doing something??
:?:? :roll::roll:

I'm probably just exspecting too much :lol:

Please help!!

Danielle.

Hi Dannii I dont know if these will help at all but these are the kits in my does nest at approx 3 days old
Nestat3days.jpg

And this is mum feeding them inside the nest box though they were a bit older here. As you may have seen mum will stand over the top of them and the babies flip themselves upside down to latch on.

Feedingtime2.jpg

This is a kit at 3 days. I guess very difficult to tell but his body does have a round shape. Not sunken at all.

Graemeat3days.jpg

And this is the nest at 6 days. Again difficult to show what i mean but all the bubbas look 'rounded'

nestday6.jpg

If your doe was standing over them I would assume she was feeding them. I think a feed may only last a couple of minutes.

Has she had plenty of material (hay etc) to build their nest with to keep them snug?
Are you just checking praps without touching that all babies are alive. Any dead ones shoul be removed asap.

NB: As a general note to all I must add the all these photos were taken without flash and mumbun was put into her run before I checked the kits and she was not distressed in anyway. I would not advise at all that anyone does as I did with my doe and babies, you must decide your own approach with your own bunny and with vets advice :)

when she hopped off where they all wriggling around with rounded bellies?
Also as the milk is so rich they only feed for a few mins

Oh there all ok then :D

There bodies are just like in your pic with the kit in your hand, I think i was exspecting too much :oops::lol:

I'm glad i've seen them pics though thankyou! :D

I now know that she's looking after them!! :D:D

:wave::wave:

Good, its sounds like she was feeding them when she was stood over them. Well done mummybun I'm glad she seems to be getting on ok.

She had 7 but 2 had already died :cry::cry:

There is 5 alive and there kicking away! :) There is pleanty of hay for her to make her nest with them, They keep wriggling to the other side of the cage. Only 1 and its the same one :lol:

Thankyou for your advice!

How many babies did your bun have? :D

10 :shock: i am so not proud of it :( but you live and learn. We still have mum and dad and kept 4 of the babies though one passed away a couple of weeks ago. all of them are neutered and bonded now and happy happy. :)

Princessdanii - I am in a similar position. See my thread here

This is what one of my babies looked like today.

10.jpg
[/IMG]

I found them on Sunday night but don't really know how old they are although I think a few days at least. I stroked mum first and also rubbed my hands in her bedding material before I investigated them. She had buried them down and we had no idea they were there as I did not know they did that??? but there were and still are 5 kits. Shadow (mum) happily runs around the run, eats her brocoli or hay and seems fine while I check them. I am still shocked about it and a little bit anxious. I worry they are ok buried down but they seem to be so far.

Today I lifted their tray (where she left her nest in) and directly placed it into a home made cardboard nest box which i hope will stop them wandering too soon or being dragged out the nest by accident but it looks like Shadow feeds them then covers them up safely again so there is no evidence on top.

Isn't nature amazing? but I am still shocked :shock:

Back