• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my rabbit to old to have another placed with her

Hi i was wondering if someone could help me,I have had my Heidi from she was 8 weeks old she is now a year, my neice bought my daughter another rabbit yesterday from pets at home whitch is 10 months old they told her that the rabbit i have would not except another rabbit as she was to old is this true as i wouldnt want to place peanut in with heidi incase she hurt her :(

what a load of piffal, my boy was 4/5/ when he was introducted to his wife and shes was 2

im surprised neutering wasnt advised, which for a succesfull it is best to have both neutered, otherwise i would not even contemplate bonding, if you are not prepaired to do so

Im assuming the bun was in the adoption section?? they dont often have "brand new " buns that old, in the main area,

Is peanut a girl, while female+ female bonds can be difficult, its not impossiable if done correctly,

If peanut is a boy, at ten months he would have his plumbs by now ( you can check this by having a look ) either way a vet will confirm this anyway,

Would just like to add the pros pf neutering far outway not doing it, calmer temprements, less chance of cervical cancer, less terrortorial issues etc, there are loads of advise here on how to do what best for your bun, and you can even type key words in the search bar to look up certain topics,

Some piccies would be nice we like piccies here :D

Peanut is as girl also and ill look into having them both netured... but you would suggest keeping both apart untill then?

deffinatly.

if you get one nasty fight, its either very hard to rebond or not advised at all, theres been 2 members here this that have had boys either have there penis bitten, or bitten off this week.

rabbits fights are nasty and they have no concept of us either when we seperate, Ive scars to prove it, I prefere to go on safer side of caution,

Id have a ring around at vets, girls are not cheap to neuter but there are some good vets that are rabbit freindly and a bit more pocket freindly too,
but i assure you vet fees for repairing damage on a fighing bun far more expensive,

hormones and spring not good combo really, while its not impossiable unneutered bonding is only really advised if the buns are old, or have medical issues to prevent a neuter. :)

one is a lop-ears and i have had from 8 weeks old and the New one is a lionhead i have placed them together and heidi only seems intrested in playing as peanit has come to me with an inner ear infection i had had to seprate them both and keep her in doors..

breed, size makes no differance, as hedis older your idea of play could be a sign of dominace, chinning sliding chin along body nipping, mounting.

which is fine if the major hormones are removed :)

If you can keep them seperated until they are neutered it would be for the best, be nice really for you to get to know your new girlie and see her characteristics :), no 2 buns are ever the same :lol:

the boys on another thread, one neutered the other the owner thought was neutered was not, hes spent weekend at vets having major surgery, they spent the day in the garden quite happy until the neutered one just suddenly turned on the other one,

Thanks alot for your help and advice ill keep them apart untill both is neutered as i dont wanna cause something that does not have to be and yes ill get pics of them put on here :D

welcome to RU.:wave:
I would definitely keep them seperate until neutered and some weeks after neuter too to let hormones settle.
There are many on here who can give advice before you start bonding or you could ask a rescue to bond them for you which might be less stressful? I'm not sure if rescues would charge for bonding or do it free but even if offered free it might be courteous to make a small donation.

My daughter bonded my two female rabbits at the age of 9yrs each- your bunnies are just youngsters:D (they lived to age 11 and a half yrs and 10yrs)

About 80% of female rabbits over the age of 5yrs get ovarian cancer so its good to get them neutered for that reason alone.

Its important to get a vet who knows about rabbits before booking them in for spey(neuter) and if you do not know of one in your area, I'm sure if you say which county you are in that members will be able to give you recommendations of which vets they have found most rabbit-savvy, and the type of post spey aftercare the buns will need.:)-sue:wave:

Thank you for the welcome :wave:..I have found a vet localy from me that will neuter them both Heidi goes in the end of the month but he will not touch peanut for a month or two as he is treating her for an inner ear infection and said it wouldnt be wise ..so i cant wait to have them both done and then i can let them bond thanks again for all the advice :D

Buns are never too old. I recently bonded a 10 year old lad with a young lady of 6 1/2. They bonded very easily are have gone to their new home like a couple of spring chickens....

two feisty females...

An unspayed female might bond quite well with a neutered male, but it is way two risky with another female. The hormones in young adult females tend to make them VERY feisty, so together... potential nasty injury. Also might jeopardise what could otherwise be a very successful bonding. Spay, then bond. Actually, even if you weren't going to bond them, spaying is still pretty much a must for avoiding cancer and a calmer, happier bun. Good luck.

Back