• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you let your rabbits get wet??

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
I had my run covered in plastic which kept the run bone dry, but the weather is too hot now and I had to take the plastic off as it would bake my little guys alive. But what if it rains??? Do people just trust that their bunnies have the good sense to take cover from rain or let them decide to get wet if they want to??

Was talking to the lovely Ann at Rabbit Welfare Ass. and she says she grows clematis over hers but I don't have the soil for it and they need certain conditions to thrive.

So how's everyones rabbits fixed for the rain then?? :?

I don't let mine get wet. I think I may be over protective in that sense, but that's the way I am. My plastics go on and off depending on the weather.

I use beach mats underneath corrugated plastic and brick it all down, which means it can be totally flexible and go on and off according to what is needed. Works a treat.

I don't let mine get wet. I think I may be over protective in that sense, but that's the way I am. My plastics go on and off depending on the weather.

I use beach mats underneath corrugated plastic and brick it all down, which means it can be totally flexible and go on and off according to what is needed. Works a treat.

Yes. I think I may be over protective too. I spent half the day today putting sticky velcro over the run so I can easily attach the plastic and remove and the other half worrying that what if I take it off some morning because it's dry and then while I'm at work there's a freak shower and my babies get wet, take the cold and die!! :shock:

I had a tarpaulin over the run over the winter but I've taken it off now, they go into the shed if it's raining

Charlie doesnt go outside to get wet (he HATES being outside) but I've accidently soaked him before when I was bathing the bird and he got in the way, he didn't seem to care :roll: just binkied off!

I had a tarpaulin over the run over the winter but I've taken it off now, they go into the shed if it's raining

Right - I have a shed too (just got it and will be hooking it up to existing run and hutch as soon as the smell of wood preserve is bearable!!) So you just trust yours to go undercover themselves if it starts to rain? ... and then the run just gets wet... sorry to sound so thick! :)

Charlie doesnt go outside to get wet (he HATES being outside) but I've accidently soaked him before when I was bathing the bird and he got in the way, he didn't seem to care :roll: just binkied off!

See that's what I'm worried about - I don't think my two will mind getting wet. They love outside and they would quite happily sit out in the rain and I have to chase them under cover!! I wouldn't put it past them to sit out in a shower because they enjoy it and not go into their shed, like all good little bunnies should in a shower of rain! :?

Right - I have a shed too (just got it and will be hooking it up to existing run and hutch as soon as the smell of wood preserve is bearable!!) So you just trust yours to go undercover themselves if it starts to rain? ... and then the run just gets wet... sorry to sound so thick! :)

Yeah, they have a cat carrier in the run and a few other shelters but they take themselves back inside if they want to

mine are free range all day, and they have the choice of going inside to their enclosure, or staying out and getting wet. They choose to get wet :roll::roll:

Ok, thanks for that. Maybe I should relax a bit about it. Esp when I have the shed hooked up. Just worry that they'll get too damp or something and then get sick. Ooooh decisions decisions.... anyone else sorry they ever got rabbits?! Worry so much about them! :lol:

Mine have a covered area in their runa nd access to the playhouse at all times. If it rains, they usually sit out in it for a few minutes and then hop in. However, Inky is quite hardcore and will sit out for ages until he decieds the rain is too heavy.

They seem to quite enjoy watching it and if it snows, Smokey loves trying to catch the flakes.

Mine had a covered area in the run and places to shelter in the garden and could also come indoors as they wished. They generally chose to graze in the rain but would come in/shelter if it was heavy rain.

I would of course not allow a bunny who was ill or just recovering from illness go out in the rain.

-sue:wave:

My cage is massive for my french lop & i have an actual cover for his cage for rubbish weather and i take it off in the summer, This morning its absolutly freezing so i've put it back on to keep him warm.

Just see what the weather is like, No doubt it'll be a different weather again tomorrow this country's weather needs to make its mind up!! :lol:

:wave:

Ours also have complete choice of inside/outside/under cover/ not under cover etc etc - and still sometimes choose to sit in the rain.

One of my buns is sensible enough to sit inside his hutch if its raining, the other ALWAYS manages to get wet, I think she just does it 'cos she knows I'll come out later and dry her off (give her attention) :D

Back