• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Matted Fur on Tail

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I just was checking Starbuck's bum and noticed that the fur underneath his tail is a bit matted. There is a little clump. There doesnt seem to be faeces in it, although out of my four bunnies, his poos are the least "healthy". He also seems to have very slightly matted fur around his wee bits.

Is it possible that its 'just' wee that is matting it? Is it anything to worry about? He is going to the vets on Tuesday so will ask her to look at it, and hoping she can just trim it off. I wouldnt dare do it myself in such a delicate place!! :oops:

ETA: I think I will try and bathe the area using cotton wall with warm water tomorrow and dry it, then see what the vet says on Tues.

Last edited:
Making it wet will probably make it worse.
Personally I'd attempt to groom it out.

I'd get the Vet to check Starbuck's teeth. Buns with Dental problems/no incisors have problems grooming and fur felts are therefore a common occurence, especially around the tail. So should Starbuck be a Dental Bunny you will need to help him with his grooming every day :)

I agree with Jane, try to groom it out.

If it is really bad, then your vet/vet nurse may be able to help with clippers (hopefully it will groom out over a couple of days)

Sorry if this sounds a silly question - but what type of comb or brush am I best using for this? I presume quite wide-toothed comb? I have got to do an urgent supply run to Pets at Home tomorrow so will have a look for something suitable.

Jacks-Jane, thanks for your advice - Starbuck is a bit of a dental bunny, he has to have spurs filed down every two months or so at the moment and only 2 weeks ago he had his tear ducts flushed and an x-ray of his molars (though didnt look as bad as they do in some cases). So is this related?

Thanks
Helen

Sorry if this sounds a silly question - but what type of comb or brush am I best using for this? I presume quite wide-toothed comb? I have got to do an urgent supply run to Pets at Home tomorrow so will have a look for something suitable.

Jacks-Jane, thanks for your advice - Starbuck is a bit of a dental bunny, he has to have spurs filed down every two months or so at the moment and only 2 weeks ago he had his tear ducts flushed and an x-ray of his molars (though didnt look as bad as they do in some cases). So is this related?

Thanks
Helen

A comb with round end teeth would be OK but be careful not to nick any skin.
You can usually gently tease matts out with your fingers.

Yes, Dental issues can result in a Bun getting matted fur. As I said before, daily grooming should help reduce this :)

One of my buns, George, constantly sits out in all weathers, and with all the snow/rain we had his tail got all matted. I found it best to kind of 'tease' the matts out, if that makes sense? Brushing it will probably hurt, and making it wet will make it worse. Hope you manage to sort it out :) xXx

Back