• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating loads of hay, but leaving pellets?

Bellikinz

Warren Scout
I bought a new type of pellets about a month ago and I had started off giving her small amounts of it mixed in with her old pellets, and upping the amount of new pellet as time went on. Right away I noticed she would start to dump her bowl (still does, quite messy!) and leave nearly all of her pellets. She eats her greens, but is rarely excited about them. Her hay is more of an interest to her. I've been told any hay is better than no hay, so I've been feeding her the only hay we can find, alfalfa. I know it's high in calcium and energy, but that's all we can find in our small town for now. Is it alright that she's not eating her pellets alot, and eating more hay? She's doing a bit better now, but still not so much.

Last edited:
they really shouldnt be eating much pellets anyways, some people dont give them pellets at all!
if shes only eating hay i would serve her a bit more, to make sure shes always got it. and some leafy green stuff and veggies.

I was just surprised because at one point she would go crazy for her pellets! She only gets an egg-cup full, which is what I was told to feed her. :)

Can you not get the Oxbow Hay. I would not want to leave on alfafa indefinately. Besides the calcium, my alfafa hay (which I feed to one of my poorly bunnies) is often in tiny little bits and sediment. Although the fibre from this is better than no hay, it wouldn't give the teeth action required to wear down the teeth.

Are her teeth okay? Sometimes they struggle with pellets if there is a dental problem. Or it could be that she isn't liking the taste of the new pellets.

I don't know what you can find in Canada, types of pellets

Well I get my hay from a horse feed supplier by the bale. We told him it's for our bunnies and he helped us pick out an extra nice bale. Ours is green, smells sweet and has long lush thick stems. I really don't think the hay is too sparse for her teeth, just by the looks of it.

She's eating the pellets much better now, so maybe it took a while for her to get used to them. :)

Back