• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

To flush or not to flush?

Furry

Young Bun
Hi All

Bunny Angel went to see the vet couple of weeks ago with a weeping left eye. Vet gave us fucithalmic drops and said if they dont worked may have to have her eyes flush.

Poor bunny always have a bit of problem with her left eye, but when she was young it cleared up on its own. but lately (she is 6.5yrs old now) she doesnt seem to be able to fight it off anymore. The first couple of times the drops help her and she stayed dry for 6 months, but it came back couple of weeks ago. she had the drops for 2 weeks now and hasn't worked.

because of her age, i am abit worry for her to go under GA to get her eyes flush and she gets very stressed at the vet. She had a mate who cleans her eye, it doenst seem to bother her, she still eats, plays, drinks and poo normally. So should i risk putting her under and do the operation? how long does it take? and what are the dangers? or should i just leave it and let her mate do the work?:? is there any other options?

Some vets will do this conscious (depending on the bunny), it might be worth asking. Have they checked teeth recently too? If she does have GA it may be worth having some skull X-rays in case it is dental related.

Hopefully it will just be an infection. Have you tried tiacil drops? Might be worth asking about them before any other treatment is decided.

Thanks for reply,
no the vet doesnt think its her teeth. they did a eye dye test, the dye didnt come out from her nose so guessed it is closed..
Angel is a very wriggly bunny, there's no way they can do this when she's awake.
just really looking for some assurance....

Without a skull Xray it's not possible to be certain that the cause of the blocked nasolacrimal duct isn't elongated tooth roots. If she has to have a GA for the flush then I'd advise getting a Dental and skull xray done too. If it is elongated tooth roots then repeated duct flushing may actually cause more problems. The weepy eye will require longterm management with eye bathing, a barrier cream to protect the skin near the weepy eye and a topical antibiotic treatment as and when required.

I have to bathe my Georges eye daily because both him and his brother were brought into a rescue each with a bunged up eye, they flushed it twice but it made no difference. There teeth were both perfect. Ive had him 6 months and he loves his daily eye wash he sits and chatters the whole time, its heartbreaking to know some of his other litter mates are probably suffering. I asked my vet if I should use any cream on the skin and she said there wouldnt be any need, shes very good but lately there have been the odd sore tiny tiny specs and i wonder if a little Vaseline would be helpful, is this the best thing to use?

I think there is no harm trying it once, and having the xrays done as long as the vet is experienced and doesnt keep her under too long. however its not going to be a long term solution u need to find the cause first.

Back