• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Veg...

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I am a bit stingy with veg and dont really feed it to my bunnies.........

They just have little bits here and there.

Usually they have about 1/3rd carrot each and a golf ball sized piece of broccoli- and thats it.....

Should I feed more???

What does everyone else feed daily? I worry about bloating............

A nice 'daily veg' portion for a small/medium bunny is...........

i used to give loads. then i cut down and now pearl is gone (she ate the majority) i *think* ill have to seriously ration Alvins veg. im moving onto the more natuarl diet this summer. leaves and danelion and with research hopefully stuff that will be growing around my local reservoir.

he has a really iffy tummy and i think it was me overfeeding veg, pellets and fruit thats made it as bad as its got :oops::oops::oops:

I hardly feed any fresh at all, I use it as a treat. We've not yet had gut problems, ever.

Mine get a small piece of fruit or a bit of herbs (basil or parsley) every day or two. Now the grass is growing they also get grass and also the very big favourite of dandelion leaves :D

Louie gets greens twice a day. Nice big bowls of Parsley, corriander, spinach,watercress, mint, 1 grape and 2 blueberries.

I hardly feed any fresh at all, I use it as a treat. We've not yet had gut problems, ever.

Mine get a small piece of fruit or a bit of herbs (basil or parsley) every day or two. Now the grass is growing they also get grass and also the very big favourite of dandelion leaves :D

Ditto, sounds same as me!

I feed an earthenware rabbit dish per bun' every day - however I will be cutting this down slightly as I've noticed they've not been eating it as quickly so I think maybe we're feeding a little bit too much.

I feed a variety of things - various lettuces (*never* Iceburg though!), coriander, flat-leaf parsley, broccoli, savoy cabbage, sweetheart cabbage, spring greens, green bell peppers (they are far more nutritious than red or yellow peppers), carrot, celery (cut up small so that there is no risk of choking) and the very occasional bit of apple as a treat. There are probably other things that I have forgotten lol.

I plan to put in a raised bed (or possibly a couple) this year to be able to grow some of my own stuff for them.

I feed an earthenware rabbit dish per bun' every day - however I will be cutting this down slightly as I've noticed they've not been eating it as quickly so I think maybe we're feeding a little bit too much.

I feed a variety of things - various lettuces (*never* Iceburg though!), coriander, flat-leaf parsley, broccoli, savoy cabbage, sweetheart cabbage, spring greens, green bell peppers (they are far more nutritious than red or yellow peppers), carrot, celery (cut up small so that there is no risk of choking) and the very occasional bit of apple as a treat. There are probably other things that I have forgotten lol.

I plan to put in a raised bed (or possibly a couple) this year to be able to grow some of my own stuff for them.

Yeah, just in the process of doing my garden so will be planting loads of herbs etc!!

Never realised they could eat peppers......... bell beppers? are then the traffic light ones you get in a pack of 3?

same. I dont feed it everyday...they might get a small piece of apple/carrot/spinach maybe three times a week.

Yeah, just in the process of doing my garden so will be planting loads of herbs etc!!

Never realised they could eat peppers......... bell beppers? are then the traffic light ones you get in a pack of 3?

Yep. Obviously all the seeds are taken out. They love them and so do my guinea pigs. The red and yellow are apparently higher in sugars than green and the green ones are higher in Vitamin C (so important for piggies!) so I only feed green ones. Oh I feed some cucumber too, knew I'd forget something! :lol:

I do the headfull size too.
They get it everyday and always have mint,dill and parsley then normally three other bits in too which can range from.
Pineapple,melon,pear,carrot,spinache,cucumber,curly kale, broccoli, blueberries, strawberrys, apple.

They only have a tiny bit of each of them but get it once during the week. I like to vary as all mine don't seem to be hugely fussed on the same thing so they each get something they love. I'm too soft probably.
They get daily dandelions too :lol:

I'm glad you've started this topic as I've been thinking about it too, I think I might be feeding mine too much by the sounds of it. I give a large (7 inch diameter) bowl about half full of a variety of veg twice a day - morning and evening (for 2 buns). They still eat loads of hay but wolf the veg down. Is this too much? Should I just give this once a day?

I'm glad you've started this topic as I've been thinking about it too, I think I might be feeding mine too much by the sounds of it. I give a large (7 inch diameter) bowl about half full of a variety of veg twice a day - morning and evening (for 2 buns). They still eat loads of hay but wolf the veg down. Is this too much? Should I just give this once a day?

:eek: god thats loads!

Mine tend to get a large handful of veg once every few days, and in the summer months me and my grandma go picking dandelion leaves (we get about two carrier bags full each time).

I feed the same amount and only have 1 bunnie :D

Mine get three different kinds of veg at night. Between three, I normally give them three leaves of spring veg each and they get two of the following choices: a pepper, a couple of inches of cucumber, or celery, or an apple, or a carrot, or a big slice each of turnip, a bit of brocolli, a slice each of cauliflower, three radishes each. I try to make it different all the time.

Back