• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New addition to our family...U/D p30

UsagiYojimbo

Alpha Buck
Hi its been a while since I've been on here

Some of you may remember I've been wanting a boyfriend for Jemima for a while. However, I was going to wait until she was fully grown and look for another French Lop.

So, something came up, a friend of a friend had male/female (pet shop had said two female story) and they had babies. She managed to rehome most but needed to rehome the last one. There was talk of giving him to a pet shop etc so I said I would take him.

This is all fine and good, however, he is a Netherland Dwarf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's just over 8 weeks old and tiny. Jemima is 9 months old and is massive (French Lop).

Have I made a huge mistake or can I really make this work?? I really need advice please. My partner has fallen in love with the little guy so there is no option of rehoming him, we are keeping him.

I really want them to bond, but is this possible? Wont she just sit on him?

Thanks in advanced, advice needed please, like when do I start the bonding process?

xxx

UPDATE!!!!!!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=234282 :wave:

Last edited:
Hiya, there is every chance it can still work despite the size. I've heard enough success stories. Really the only way to see is to try it, but carefully in view of the extra power she is packing!

Good luck :thumb:

I'm sure somebody on here has a Frenchy bonded with a Nethie. I *think* it might be BB Mummy :?

Thanks guys for the supportive messages :D

How do I message BB Mummy? Can someone let her know to contact me somehow please?

I don't think I can bond yet, he is only 8 weeks old. Or can I?

122.jpg

:D

He will need neutering first and then several weeks to settle hormones and recover. I think success in bonding is more down to personalities and circumstances than size.

If anything, because he is a baby, he won't have the psychological history that some rabbits have, so it might be easier. He won''t be that used to being a single rabbit and may be very happy to have af riend.

SHE is the worry (french lop) not him. He is currently in a cage/pen setup in our living room and jemima is in here also (free range) she has taken interest in him a few times through the bars sniffing but she started biting the bars so I stopped her. She's now lying down watching him

Is this okay or should they be in COMPLETELY seperate rooms?

He's taking no notice of her! lol

no expert

I am no expert, but I would have thought that as long as she is spayed you could bond them. As he matures sexually you would need to watch out, because if he annoys her, her strength might be an issue. But other than that, why not? Perhaps others more expert might comment?

Captain Carrot (giant Conti) bonded himself to a girlie mini-lop and they're devoted. Since he's a baby I'd introduce them asap on neutral territory. After all, if she had babies they'd be much smaller than him initially, but she wouldn't squash them.... :wave:

both should be neutered

size is often never a prob, i had a large lop with a mini rex, my mini rex was the problem as despite being given time for hormones to settle he was extremmmmmmmly randy with her for the first week, even if his feet didnt touch the floor as he stradled her and well his body wasnt long enough either, was a funny sight i tell you, she wasnt best pleased but put up with it :lol:

would get her spayed then the boy at around 12/ 14weeks as young as your vet will do him, his plumbs should be showing for the chop :D

both should be neutered

size is often never a prob, i had a large lop with a mini rex, my mini rex was the problem as despite being given time for hormones to settle he was extremmmmmmmly randy with her for the first week, even if his feet didnt touch the floor as he stradled her and well his body wasnt long enough either, was a funny sight i tell you, she wasnt best pleased but put up with it :lol:

would get her spayed then the boy at around 12/ 14weeks as young as your vet will do him, his plumbs should be showing for the chop :D

Jemima was speyed at 5 months, she is now 9 months.

Leo is only 8 weeks. I thought I would need to wait for him to be neutered/settle down before bonding, but someone else suggested to get them bonded sooner

Either way he has only just come home today so I'll leave it a week or two at least before deciding what to do!

Captain Carrot (giant Conti) bonded himself to a girlie mini-lop and they're devoted. Since he's a baby I'd introduce them asap on neutral territory. After all, if she had babies they'd be much smaller than him initially, but she wouldn't squash them.... :wave:

Im worried she will squash him in an attack, she could easily kill him by the looks of their size difference :shock:

Hi its been a while since I've been on here

Some of you may remember I've been wanting a boyfriend for Jemima for a while. However, I was going to wait until she was fully grown and look for another French Lop.

So, something came up, a friend of a friend had male/female (pet shop had said two female story) and they had babies. She managed to rehome most but needed to rehome the last one. There was talk of giving him to a pet shop etc so I said I would take him.

This is all fine and good, however, he is a Netherland Dwarf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's just over 8 weeks old and tiny. Jemima is 9 months old and is massive (French Lop).

Have I made a huge mistake or can I really make this work?? I really need advice please. My partner has fallen in love with the little guy so there is no option of rehoming him, we are keeping him.

I really want them to bond, but is this possible? Wont she just sit on him?

Thanks in advanced, advice needed please, like when do I start the bonding process?

xxx

I have a lion hed mum & french lop dad and she's small compared to him but they got on fine, All i did was put them both in the run for a couple of hours a day to get to know each other then went to next step & put them both in the cage together they was fine. =]

Back