• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! My rabbit may have broken her leg...

ab1385

New Kit
Hello knowledgeable rabbit people!

My rabbit just jumped out of my arms and landed awkwardly on her front right leg. At first she wasn't using that leg at all, but after about 10 minutes she is beginning to use it again, if a little gingerly. She is still moving around and grazing and doesn't appear in any pain, but is being a little bit careful with that leg.

The question really is, I know I need to get this seen by a vet, but is there any harm in leaving it until tomorrow? She seems to be getting better, and everything with vets on a Sunday costs about 4 times as much as during a weekday.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Help for rabbit

My guess is the rabbit probably twisted or sprained it, initially it would have been painful, but in view of the fact that the animal is using it more and more, I should keep it contained (within reason) and just keep an eye on it for any further limping etc.
Should be fine by tomorrow (animals dont pretend) but if still favouring the leg maybe a check up might be in order.
I find the best way to handle wriggly rabbits is to swathe them in a large towel keeping the head well covered , if however the rabbit is usually tame and it was a one -off then ........

Thanks for that.

I can move her leg around reasonably freely and can feel along the length of her femur, tibia/fibula and her ankles/feet and can't feel any breaks, and she didn't seem to complain too much.

I'm hoping this means, as you say, that she's just sprained it. I think I'll see how she goes tonight, if she's showing any signs of ongoing problems tomorrow I'll take her down to the vet for an x-ray - unless anyone thinks this is a really bad idea?

If it seems to be worse tomorrow, or if she is off her food( bunnies in pain tend not to eat) then take her and let the vet check her out. An Xray may be done if there is a suspected fracture, but from how you describe the bun's behaviour I should think it's as others have said, just a bit of a sprain. :) Keep us updated.:)

Back