• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help! My rabbit may have broken her leg...

ab1385

New Kit
Hello knowledgeable rabbit people!

My rabbit just jumped out of my arms and landed awkwardly on her front right leg. At first she wasn't using that leg at all, but after about 10 minutes she is beginning to use it again, if a little gingerly. She is still moving around and grazing and doesn't appear in any pain, but is being a little bit careful with that leg.

The question really is, I know I need to get this seen by a vet, but is there any harm in leaving it until tomorrow? She seems to be getting better, and everything with vets on a Sunday costs about 4 times as much as during a weekday.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Let's put it this way, if you had broken your leg would you wait a day to go and get it checked out or get pain relief;)

Hopefully she is just a bit stiff, but I still think a call to the vet is needed to at least get some advice and then let the vet decide if they think you need to go in.

Thanks, I realised that I've posted this in the wrong forum so I've posted in the 'health' forum - feel free to delete this thread.

For what it's worth, she is now looking a lot better, and I can feel along the length of the femur, tibia and fibula, and ankle/foot without feeling any breaks, and can move the leg reasonably freely without her showing any signs of being upset by it.

I haven't taken her to the vet yet - I think she's most likely sprained it since she seems to be a lot more comfortable now.

If she's showing any signs of distress or not eating properly etc tomorrow then I'll take her to the vet. I'm really not keen on taking her to the out of hours vet when it's £100 just for an appointment, plus the x-rays at much above normal cost, and she seems like she's getting better.

please take her to the vets - a hind leg sprain ended up as an abscess in my bun Noisette, which ended her going into statis... its not worth the wait IMO :wave:

I know of a bunny who did somthing similar and the vets didn't think she had broken it, but then after an x-ray it turned out to be a horrific break. She now has a wire in her leg and all sorts. It was surgery the vet had never carried out in a rabbit before, but he did an awesome job.

I personally couldn't leave my bunnies in any pain (be it sprain, twist or break) because I would feel cruel doing that.

I hope you make the right decision for your bunny :)

I think that If she looks fine then I would wait until the morning...... but im not a vet.

If she is using it properly and eating well then it will be fine for one night.... Just keep her in her hutch so she can rest it- and not free on a lawn or anything- just for tonight and take her first thing tomorrow.....

Obviously urgent vet care is necessary....... but I know what you mean about the sunday rates. The vest by me charge £110- have swapped to a cheaper vets which is £90...

Darn Sunday Consults!!!

Echo Jemma&Theo.

Pie has jumped off the bed and landed on her HEAD! And at a very awkward angle at that. She has also done the smae thing to her front leg. Took her to the vet a few hours later as she was hopping about, eating, drinking & being normal and it was only burised. But you know your bunny. If she's being abit 'off' at all take her to the vets! :)

My house bunny dylan jumped out our bedroom window last year!! Amazingly, he didn't seriously hurt himself. He caught his leg and was limping, but he didn't break it. I think if your bunny seems "ok" and isn't obviously in lots of pain (ie being really quiet, not eatch etc) then as long as you get her to the vets tomorrow for a check, then she'll be fine :)

Back