• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

?????????

princessdanii

Warren Scout
Can I Take Mummy Bun Away From The kits For About Half An Hour?! While I Put Her In Run On Her Own While The Sun Is Out?! & The Grass Is All Dry! :wave:

Nope, I', not even sure she's fed them yet as someone told me they can be up to 48hours before they have there 1st feed there now 24hours old around that time.

How old are the babies?!

If they're really small then personally I wouldn't, or if they're bigger and hopping about maybe as it's just for half an hour you could pop them out in the sunshine too. Keep and eye on them to make sure they only have a little taste of the grass though.

I have to admit, I think I'd keep my boring and sensible head on and leave them in, all together, and pick some grass for mummy bun. Can you turn the hutch round so they're getting a little sun in there?

ETA - posted at the same time! If they're only a day old and you don't know if they've been fed, I definatley wouldn't move mummy bun.

She really needs to settle for a couple of days. Once you've seen her mothering skills, then you can work out if she can be away from them ok.

I maybe did this wrong so dont listen to me necessarily!
But when my doe had kits, i read that they most commonly feed the babies at night or early hours of the morning, and often only feed the babies once or twice every 24 hours.
So based on that I put my doe out in her run for a stretch of her legs and a break from the littlies every day since they were born. Mumbun will very rarely stay near them often anyway naturally, does often seem to ignore their young alot of the time so as not to draw attention to them in case predators are around.
So i would have thought it were fine to put mum in the run for a time in the middle of the day but that is based on my experience with my one doe and what i read online :?
ETA I did also check the kits morning and evening after rubbing my hands in some of mums litter so i knew they had little round bellies and were being fed and mumbun had littered before (not with me) so i knew she knew what she was doing. Mumbun and i were also quite close so i know she didnt mind me handling her either. So I guess alot depends on your doe and how the babies are.
To add again this is just my personal experience. I know some people advise not going near the nest or babies at all to check them.

Last edited:
But when my doe had kits, i read that they most commonly feed the babies at night or early hours of the morning, and often only feed the babies once or twice every 24 hours.
So based on that I put my doe out in her run for a stretch of her legs and a break from the littlies every day since they were born. Mumbun will very rarely stay near them often anyway naturally, does often seem to ignore their young alot of the time so as not to draw attention to them in case predators are around.
So i would have thought it were fine to put mum in the run for a time in the middle of the day but that is based on my experience with my one doe and what i read online :?
ETA I did also check the kits morning and evening after rubbing my hands in some of mums litter so i knew they had little round bellies and were being fed and mumbun had littered before (not with me) so i knew she knew what she was doing. Mumbun and i were also quite close so i know she didnt mind me handling her either. So I guess alot depends on your doe and how the babies are.
To add again this is just my personal experience. I know some people advise not going near the nest or babies at all to check them.

I did the same milly was desperate to get out and stretch her legs

How old are the babies?!

If they're really small then personally I wouldn't, or if they're bigger and hopping about maybe as it's just for half an hour you could pop them out in the sunshine too. Keep and eye on them to make sure they only have a little taste of the grass though.

I have to admit, I think I'd keep my boring and sensible head on and leave them in, all together, and pick some grass for mummy bun. Can you turn the hutch round so they're getting a little sun in there?

ETA - posted at the same time! If they're only a day old and you don't know if they've been fed, I definatley wouldn't move mummy bun.

There about 24hours old now! Is it when there all wrinkly that there dehydrated???

Yeah i'll see what she's like for the next couple of days with them because there only 24hours old & then i'll let her stretch her legs & have some fun :D

PS. I've PM'ed you (check the box in the top right and click the private messages link if you haven't seen it allready), my dad lives in Cas :)

Back