• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can buns eat Bindweed?

Fluffers

Wise Old Thumper
I read that they can but I've learnt not to believe everything I read so thought I'd ask you guys ;)

Would be great if they do, I get a wheelie bin full each year :lol:

Now I am not sure - just looked this up on two various places and they contradict each other.........MMmmm anyone know for certain?

i'm confused now too:? i always thought it was a definite no no but now i'm not sure. i'll keep watching this thread as hopefully someone will know for sure:) (prettylupin or thumps may know).

Hmm.. I read somewhere that it was fine, and Bella has spent her last two summers nomming it all from MILs garden constantly and she's had no problem.

That said, I'm pretty sure Bella is in fact a goat and will eat anything that she comes in to contact with!

One of the confusions here is that there are several different types of 'bindweed' and people tend to lump them all into one!

Field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis ) forms creeping mats in arable and semi-arable areas (allotments!!!) and seems fine for rabbits (mine have been eating it for years).

Hedge bindweed (also known as 'Devils Guts' or 'wild Morning Glory'!) (Convolvulus sepium) seems also to be ok as long as not in seed.

True 'morning glory' which you often see growing in gardens as a blue coloured flower (Ipomea spp) is known as a mild halucinogenic:

However there is a suggestion that some other species/varieties of 'bindweed also have this halucinogenic quality in the seeds. .

SEE wiki QUOTE: The seeds of many species of morning glory contain ergot alkaloids such as the hallucinogenic ergonovine and ergine (LSA). Seeds of I. tricolor and T. corymbosa (syn. R. corymbosa) are used as psychedelics. The seeds can produce a similar effect to LSD when taken in the hundreds. Though the chemical LSA is illegal to possess in pure form, the seeds are found in many gardening stores; however, the seeds from commercial sources are often coated in some form of pesticide or methylmercury to retard spoilage [3] - these coatings are especially dangerous if you have a history of liver disorders and may also cause neurological damage. [4][5][6] Also, the active ingredient LSA has, in animal models, produced uterine contractions, which could possibly induce a miscarriage: END QUOTE

Note neither of those mentioned are Convolvulus . . the wild bindweed we have most commonly.

In conclusion I would have said leaves and shoots in moderation prior to flowering (and to be honest the same is true of plants like Cow Parsley - see other thread).

Back