• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes please for Angel... UPDATE: PAGE 3 - Home

p_prod_uk

Mama Doe
I got up at 7am to feed and clean out buns today and Angel wasn't right. She showed no interest in food, or me, both of which are unusual.

I decided to call the emergency vet but couldn't get hold of anyone, so ended up calling another good local vet.

By 7.30am I was down there and the vet said it wasn't looking good. Angel's stomach was very bloated and the vet suspected a blockage.

They put a drip in her ear and gave her painkillers. An x-ray was taken which showed a huge stomach.

The vet gave me 2 options: (1) to give pineapple juice and fluids then x-ray again to see if there was any improvement, or (2) open her stomach up straight away.

The vet said there was a high risk with the op as Angel was in such a bad way already and may not pull through the op.

The vets were so fantastic with me and let me have a room to myself with Angel while I tried to decide what to do.

The fluids, painkillers and first x-ray, plus emergency call out fee, came to £350 and the op was going to be another £500 ish. Bearing in mind I had just suspended my insurance a month ago as had a bit of financial difficulty :roll:

I cried and cried with Angel wrapped in my arms, trying to decide what to do for the best.

After speaking with the vet, I decided to give the pineapple juice a go, so nipped off to the shop to get some (with my big red, puffy face :oops:) and came back. After about an hour and a half, another x-ray was taken but the vet said the stomach was the same, if not a little bigger.

The next decision was if to pts or operate. Bearing in mind she may die on the table.

In the back of my head was the money, but luckily I had found a credit card on my way out so just though i'd stick it on there.
I really wasn't sure if to put Angel to sleep, so she could go in my arms and put her out of pain, or if to risk the op.

Many tears and minutes later, I decided to go for the op and the vet said it would be about an hour.

2 and a quarter hours later the vet finished (!) and called me through. It turns out the whole of Angel's stomach was fur and food and was literally on the verge of bursting.

The vet said she was in an oxygen tank and it would be about 20 mins till she came round, if she even made it out of the GA.

After an anxious 20 mins (ish), I got called through to the back room to see her in the oxygen tank. She was still very sleepy as they were waking her up very slowly.
I got to stay in there with her for about 30 mins and stroked her continually and talked to her.

To cut the rest of a very long story short (!), I came home from the vets at 3.15pm and called at 5.30pm for an update. She was apparently sitting up at the back of the pen and seemed awake, but not eating. I went back at 7pm with some fruit and veg as she wasn't eating and she had had some sedative meds so was sleepy again.

Please can you cross your fingers for my baby girl as she's s important to me.

I know it may seem weird that I took some pics at the vets, but I honestly didn't think she'd still be alive by now and wanted some final piccies...

Pre-Op
IMG01836-20100410-1053.jpg

IMG01838-20100410-1053.jpg

IMG01840-20100410-1103.jpg

Post-Op Oxygen Tank
IMG01845-20100410-1502.jpg

IMG01843-20100410-1418.jpg

Last edited:
The pic of you and her together has made me cry :cry:...sending lots of positive healing vibes to Angel...:love:

The pic of me and her made me cry too when I saw my double chin! :oops::lol:

I literally cried all this morning, until I could physically cry no more :cry:

The next 48 hours are crucial and we have to take it hour by hour the vet said. It just depends on if her stomach heals back where it had the incision, as the stomach was so stretched that if blood vessels have been damaged it may not heal :cry:

My wonderfully fantistic boyfriend has tonight just said he will clear all my debts and pay for today's £850 bill (total is thousands:oops:) to leave me able to re-start my bunny insurance and get myself back on my feet.

I love him :love:

Picture 3 tells me exactly why we try everything for our buns.

We had a six year old who had exactly the same problem three years ago. His stomach was opened to remove the mass of food and hair. As you so correctly said, the following 48 hours are critical. In our case he made it and lived until he was almost 9.

Regular pain relief is essential. Water and feeding small amounts at a time seemed to make our boy's recovery a little easier. I would recommend recovery food (my preference is Oxbow Critical Care), it is easier for it to pass through the tender stomach as well as minimal effort with chewing.

I hope Angel recovers as well as our little boy. Be aware that she may look very ill at first as it is major surgery. I know when I saw Liam the day after surgery I honestly did not believe he could recover, he looked so awful and depressed and stayed that way for about 3 days, gradually improving over a week.

Loads and loads of vibes. Please keep us updated. I know how terrible it is to be in your situation as I'm sure many people on here are.

If you need to talk to anyone, PM me. I'm in a similar situation at the moment :(

Poor Angel, sending loads of vibes.

It must have been a comfort being able to stay with her so long. I'd have done the same and tried for her, I hope she makes it.

Update:

Thanks for all the replies and vibes - it seems to be working!
I called the vet last night at about 9 and she was ok but not eating and no interest. Then I called at about 3am and she was apparently a lot brighter and eating, but still not passing poos.

I've had a voicemail at 9am today saying she's still eating and seems very stable. Stomach seems normal size and is nice and soft, although still no poops.

At 12.45 I had another voicemail and the vet said she's doing so well she can come home! :love::love: She will call me later to arrange for me to pick up.

Is this not a bit soon for her to come home?

I really want her here, although am very worried about putting her back in with Blake as they've been separated for a day or two now... :?

I'm presuming she's started pooing (if she's not, then I will ask them to keep her in) but the vet originally said she'd be kept in for about a week. So for her to come home today seems too soon?

Any advice? :wave:

Just seen this. Poor Angel (and you)! I'm glad she seems to be on the mend.

I think that your vet may be working on the idea that when she is home in familiar surroundings, she will heal quicker. I know that with my rabbits this is definitely the case.

I would ask your vet what you will need to do with her at home and make sure that they give you pain relief to administer. If you feel comfortable with that, go for it:).

I would not put her in with Blake straight away but maybe set up a pen for him next to her so that they can see/smell each other.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

When my bunnies have any operations they come home as soon as they are round. The vets don't wait to see if they eat or drink or poo, they advise, and then know they do better in their own surroundings. Maybe this theory is similar to the one your vet is applying?

If they have been separated for a couple of days, how about putting them next to each other so they can see and interact, and maybe assess from there what to do next with them?

I'm really pleased she's doing so well. Artie was in for a week after having his bladder opened up which must be pretty similar in severity/healing time etc.

I'd go with how capable you feel at nursing her, I'm sure you can take her back easily enough if you are at all worried.

Just seen this. Poor Angel (and you)! I'm glad she seems to be on the mend.

I think that your vet may be working on the idea that when she is home in familiar surroundings, she will heal quicker. I know that with my rabbits this is definitely the case.

I would ask your vet what you will need to do with her at home and make sure that they give you pain relief to administer. If you feel comfortable with that, go for it:).

I would not put her in with Blake straight away but maybe set up a pen for him next to her so that they can see/smell each other.

Lots of vibes,

FC x

Thanks for replying. I'm thinking i will set up the play pen or something in the shed so he can have free-range in there as normal but not get to her. They can still snuggle through the bars and get used to each other again.

I know chances are they would be fine straight away, but worry that they might fight a bit etc.

Fingers crossed I hear from vet again soon and can go and get my baby girl!!

Photo-0031.jpg
:love::love::love:

Oh the photos of Angel have me in tears especially the one of you holding Angel you both look so sad.

'Thinking about you both'

I'm so glad that things are finally looking up for her.

I'd be a bit nervous about bringing her home too. I like to think that the vets they are in safe hands ... I get scared that I'd do something wrong. I'm sure they'll give you all the advice you need :)

Keep us updated!

Having gone through the same with our bun I think Angel may benefit from familiar surroundings, but not directly with her mate. She will be very uncomfortable just now and any activity may be detrimental. Ours was hunched up for quite a few days, hardly moving except for the litter tray and water. He would not eat so needed syringe feeding and additional water. He was kept separate but next to his bonded girl for over a week until he started to eat on his own and move around a little. They had a very strong bond and she played a big part in his recuperation by fussing over him so much.

It sounds like things are going along well so I hope that continues until she has recovered.

Back