• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay Bales

Rachie

Mama Doe
I bought two today :D I can't believe I've wasted so much money in the past buying bags of hay. I used to spend £15 at P@H every two weeks!

Any tips on how to separate them into smaller bags so I can keep some in the house? I've dumped them in the garage for now!

I bought two today :D I can't believe I've wasted so much money in the past buying bags of hay. I used to spend £15 at P@H every two weeks!

Any tips on how to separate them into smaller bags so I can keep some in the house? I've dumped them in the garage for now!

I put mine into black bags to keep in the house for the house buns.

Still doesn't stop hay getting all over the carpet though! :lol:

brilliant :thumb: Did you end up using Dantre Farm?

I just bung my bale of hay in the garage and leave it there :oops:

Our local horse suppliers split bales into massive bags full for £1.65. Suits me as I haven't anywhere to store a whole bale.

I have an old sheet for a double duvet cover that I put the bale in so I don't get hay in my car. Then when I get home I kind of pull it all apart while it is still inside of the sheet and it does help keep most of it from going all over the place, then I store most of it in my hay bin :) What doesn't fit in the bin goes into black bin bags and is kept in the shed

Yes, a much more cost effective way of buying hay!!

Assuming they are normal oblong horse bales you should find that they are made up of compact "slices", usually 8-12 in a bale depending on the bale size. Take a slice in at a time in a box or bag, whichever is easiest. I bring a slice up at a time from the stables and the first one lasted Inca 1 month which means a bale should last almost a year and at £3.50 a bale that aint bad going!! :)

brilliant :thumb: Did you end up using Dantre Farm?

I just bung my bale of hay in the garage and leave it there :oops:

I did yes! Thanks again for their details! How gorgeous are their ickle ponies!!!!? There was one that had just been born this morning! :love:

I tried to say that you gave me *their* (not yours - edit!) number but then he went on to describe what you may or may not look like :lol: I don't know!!

Last edited:
BTW - if anyone needs any hay you are very welcome to have some from me - I'm in Husbands Bosworth, South Leics :D

For people buying bales from me I normally suggest keeping it in a single duvet cover and then you can peel off a 'slice' from the top (if you stand it on end) when you need it. The duvet cover enables the hay to breath. Then if you want to scale it down, you can put the slice you have peeled off in a pillow case.

I did yes! Thanks again for their details! How gorgeous are their ickle ponies!!!!? There was one that had just been born this morning! :love:

I tried to say that you gave me *their* (not yours - edit!) number but then he went on to describe what you may or may not look like :lol: I don't know!!

the baby foals are SOOO cute at the farm! I might just have to run out of my hay to check them out :oops:

:lol: They should recognise me because I go there often enough! The couple know me for having giant buns :lol: I can imagine their shocked faces if you told them I gave you their number through an loony rabbit loving forum :lol::lol:

the baby foals are SOOO cute at the farm! I might just have to run out of my hay to check them out :oops:

:lol: They should recognise me because I go there often enough! The couple know me for having giant buns :lol: I can imagine their shocked faces if you told them I gave you their number through an loony rabbit loving forum :lol::lol:

I negated to mention the loony rabbit loving forum bit :p Do you have a people carrier and a smooth head? :lol: He kept asking me random questions in an effort to identify you but I had to keep saying 'ooo erm, I don't know, he has two giant rabbits' :lol:

Really nice chap though :D I was having a fuss and a cuddle from a pony they'd just got, his name was George. If I could have fitted him in my car then I probably would have stole him. He was lovely :love:

I know tell me about it, for the past 4 years I've been buying hay from pet shops which are a fortune compared to hay bales in horse shops. Recently I've been buying bales of hay from Tower farms in Barby.

It's £3.50:shock::D

I've still got the whole bale in the greenhouse. (I bought it 2 months ago)

Normally I put loads of loose hay in 2 bags (one for Revolver & one for Velvet)
Then I refill it when it's empty.

However I've notice at the bottom of the hay bale, it is wet and damp so basically the hay on the bottom of the bale is rotten and ruined. I don't know why :?

Has anyone experienced this problem, if so how did you resolve it? I don't know how to prevent this happening again. :?

However I've notice at the bottom of the hay bale, it is wet and damp so basically the hay on the bottom of the bale is rotten and ruined. I don't know why :?

Has anyone experienced this problem, if so how did you resolve it? I don't know how to prevent this happening again. :?

you're not keeping your hay in a[plastic] bin liner are you? I keep mine in the duvet cover I collect it in and it stays nice and fresh until the end- mind you it only lasts about a month.

im lucky i just store mine outside my flat door as it is unwrapped, as im on the top floor no one comes up :lol: my hall smells of hay, though the weekly hoover can be a pain,

I personaly wouldn't keep hay in a bag, or plastic unless its got good ventilation, and is in a cool dark place, away from heat and direct sunlight, makes it go all funny and sweats , unless of course you go through like a bale a week.
for my 5 a bale last me 5/6 weeks, I have big hay eaters
before i used to store mine on a pallet in my garage

you're not keeping your hay in a[plastic] bin liner are you? I keep mine in the duvet cover I collect it in and it stays nice and fresh until the end- mind you it only lasts about a month.

No I'm not, it is sat on a metal tray in the greenhouse. I'll take a photo of it and you'll see what I mean.

There is no room in the garage for the bale. So I put loose hay in a large thick plastic bag and put it the storage cupboard withe their litter and it's fine.

It's just in the green house it's an issue :?

For people buying bales from me I normally suggest keeping it in a single duvet cover and then you can peel off a 'slice' from the top (if you stand it on end) when you need it. The duvet cover enables the hay to breath. Then if you want to scale it down, you can put the slice you have peeled off in a pillow case.

I was going to say that about the duvet cover - they are ideal. My mum had some material with cartoon bunnies on and she made me a bale bag with it. :) If you don't have a spare duvet cover, check out your nearest charity shop for one. You can pick one up for a couple of quid.

Only trouble is I have to tip mine out of the bale bag to put it in my wheelie bin outside as it's a snug fit when the bale is whole. Last time I didn't and I ended up getting the bale a bit damp as a bit of the bag was sticking out when it rained and it wicked a load of water in. Other than that, the wheelie bin is ideal for a bale of hay. I open it ever day to get a handful of hay and it stays fresh and sweet smelling right down to the bottom of the bale. The pet shop hay is rubbish and stale in comparison. A bale lasts my two at least 3 months.

Back