• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fairydell farm

Rachel89

Mama Doe
Does anyone know anything about it?

Don't worry I'm not planning on going down, can't find much on the net but the bunny I collected earlier came from there and not liking what I see :(
Just any info anyone has on them really so I can get abit more background on where she may of come from or whats gone wrong really.

Wasn't that the place where there was a big fire? I'm sure there have been other posts on here about the place?

Thanks for the PM, I know it has a pet shop so must be the same one.

Just seen an ad online saying over 600 rabbits there :(

Patch came from Fairydell Farm. In my naivity, I thought that it would be a better place to get a bunny from than P@H. :oops:

Couldn't say what it's like now tho, you wouldn't catch me within 2 miles of the place.
Thanks RU for the lesson learned!

I live about 10 minutes from them. Four of my rabbits are from them. One in particular is our tamest rabbit and without them, we would not have come to have her. She is the cutest tiniest little Rex I have seen .. we adore her! My other little rex never tamed up as well .. probably our fault .. not handled as much. Also bought a min lop ear and a min lion lopfrom them. All were babies when I got them and all were in excellent health and condition. I didn't like the way all the rabbits were caged .. but then my own rabbits are caged a lot of the time (hutches). They sold me 2 large hutches for my rabbits. The conditions seemed clean enough and there is always someone on duty working with the rabbits when I have pitched up unexpectadly to buy hey etc. The negative thing is .. with so many rabbits in need of new homes... large breeders are just adding to the problem ... I certainly agree with that. But I suppose so long as people buy .. they will breed. To be honest, I was totally new at keeping rabbits when I bought from them and never even thought about rescue rabbits ... who can resist a baby rabbit. I am now wiser and if I was after a rabbit again I'm sure I would check out rescue places first. My other rabbits are from small time breeders. My lops have recently gone to live with a very nice lady who I checked out thoroughly and could not have found a better home. Needed to reduce numbers to give more attention to the others. I have 6 still .. all spayed and neutered and vaccinated and getting more attention now that we have them in a large enclosure for play time. The Fairydell pet shop was sold recently but the rabbit farm is still operating to my knowledge. Hope my input has helped :)

Can someone PM me? I occasionally shop there but it seems to be overpriced compared to where i get my food/hay now.

I feel uncomfortable going in there as I dont like the place...

Can someone PM me? I occasionally shop there but it seems to be overpriced compared to where i get my food/hay now.

I feel uncomfortable going in there as I dont like the place...

If u have found a cheaper place and feel uncomfortable going to Fairydell farm why go there? Not sure I understand ur problem?? :?

Just wondered why it was so bad or if my perception was spot on.

It's bad from the point that there are too many rabbits that are no longer wanted, and breeding on a large scale just makes it harder for the homeless ones to get placed. I read in a newspaper that rabbits are the most neglected pets in Britain (and I would add most small caged animals to that catagory). When u consider how much care they need, seeing as most rabbits are caged, it's easy to understand how they can become neglected. And I don't think large scale breeders can be, or are, too fussy about who buys their babies as they need to keep them moving. One can understand why rescue centres get exasperated at large scale breeding of rabbits, because they end up with the unwanted ones ... very sad! :(

I see their advert in the paper and cringe, rabbit breeding on that kind of scale is just not necessary!!!

we got a bun from them...she died in an hour:cry:
we then went back with the body:cry: and got a second bun...she was ill for all of her 3 years ...costing us in excess of £5000 vet bills... yes £5000.
its up to you what you make of that..

This is Rabbitmums husband here adding his bit.

We bought our French lop from Fairydell and as RM said, she died about an hour after we got her home after a half hour journey home- she did though look very quiet even in her hutch when we chose her...
We contacted the lady who ran the business and to be brutally honest, she was extremely shocked and apologetic on the phone and offered a replacement.
We chose our next bun probably more carefully and chose a younger looking bun who with her sisters looked very bright and spritely.
Jessica unfortunately suffered about a year later with abscesses that possibly shortened her 3 year life.

The points however to mention about the breeder are:
She probably runs no worse an operation than those that supply to the pet trade- the dirrerence being that she opens the doors to the public
The sheds with the rabbits are packed with hutches, however the hutches were NOT packed with rabbits
All hutches looked clean and in good condition.
Despite our loathing for some breeders, I still cannot discount the fact that without a visit to this place, I would never have had the honour and privilege to know our three yr old Jessica and no one can take the mostly great memories I have away from me.

I am not a fan of breeders of this scale, but have no concept of the sort of breeders used by pet (chain)stores as they operate behind closed doors- would they be worse or better? I dont know

I also keep tropical fish
I buy from Aquatic stores
They buy from wholesalers who obtain from mass farming fisheries....
Isnt this the same?

Several years later from our experience, I now will only get bunnies from rescues are there are far too many in need of a good home as it is. however, I think its important to share my thoughts on Fairydell

we got a bun from them...she died in an hour:cry:
we then went back with the body:cry: and got a second bun...she was ill for all of her 3 years ...costing us in excess of £5000 vet bills... yes £5000.
its up to you what you make of that..

My beautiful Patch came from there. She was also blighted with illness from an early age. Snuffles to begin with and then gut stasis. She suffered badly from jaw abcesses, (we spent roughly the same as you over the 4 years we had her in vets bills), and it was to this that we finally lost her. Her poor little tummy couldn't cope with the ABX any longer, and after a 1 night stay in Intensive Care, (to the cost of £500+) I had to make the awful decision to let her go.

I'm sorry I ever heard of the place, but in a way I don't regret getting Patch from there. She was a very special bunny, very brave and she stole my heart with her cheekiness and dogged dertermination. I still miss her very much. I was priviledged to have her in my life.

Oh no sorry to hear about all the beloved bunnies lost :cry:
I think Iv'e been incredibly lucky that Brackens *touch wood* been fairly healthy bun. I'm glad that I never went to the place, got her from a little girl whos mum bought her the bunny.

Back