• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice Wanted Please?!?!

princessdanii

Warren Scout
Whats the best things to feed a rabbit??

I've gotta french lop & a lion head.
My lion head has just had 5 beautiful babies & i'm wondering whats best food to keep her lactating. :D

Also to keep my male strong & healthy! I know pleanty of veg will do but lately he's been having the runs so sticking to the petshop food at the minute :lol:

Danielle. :wave:

Is the french lop the dad?!?!?!?!?!

She just needs her regular diet, but as I said previously, over the following days she needs her pellets increased so she has unlimited pellets. Obviously she still needs unlimited hay.

What is her current diet?

Fot your male, how many pellets does he have? Also, does he have unlimited hay?

Yes he's the dad i can imagine these babies to be pritty big as he is only 1yr and absolutly massive!! :lol:

Her current diet is veg, fruit & dried food.

Same for the male & he has pleanty of hay & dried bread too he loves that! :D

Danielle.

:| Keep a close eye because she will be having babies FAR too big for her body. That must have caused her horrendous pain because they are too big for her.

I think you need to find out if she is pregnant again and if she is you need to work out what to do about that.

Does the mum have unlimited hay? I would just increase her dry food over the following days. Is it a pellet? Or a mix with different types of food in?

I wouldn't suggest giving a rabbit bread because it can cause blockages and gut problems.

The babies aint really that big to be honest. & She is quite a big bunny herself i'll get some pics on later on when my camera has charged up.

How do i find out if she's pregnant? As i said i'm new to this :roll:

Oh someone told me to give them bread as they love it, I'll be stopping that straight away.

Yeah she has lots of hay too they both have, Its a mix of different types of food. I normally feed them both twice a day & give them both hay every day & pleanty of water.

Danielle.

Compared to what lionhead to lionhead babies should be, these will be considerably bigger.

Ideally the average rabbit needs a complete pellet (i.e. where they all look the same) with the protein a good few percent lower than the fibre. Its not advisable to start changing her over, but he could do with being on different food.

To check for pregnancy she will need to be checked by a rabbit savvy vet or someone else who can palpate.

Well yeah suppose when you look at things like that, But she didn't seem to be in a lot of pain & she's totally content so thats a good sign.

Ok well i'll go & get him some of them pellets as he is a greedy ****** :lol:

Ok well i'll sort that out asap.

Thanks
Danielle.

Don't forget to make a slow transition with the pellets, and he only needs an eggcup or a bit more a day of them. Mainly he just needs hay.

Has your doe had kits already?
Is the dadbun separate from her now?
Both bunnies oncluding mum bun will need plenty of hay. They should have hay available 24/7.
Mumbun will also need unlimited pellets i believe too. There are pellets that you can get especially for lactating does. If she is not already on pellets but rather a muesli mix you would have to change the mix to pellets gradually over a period of 10 days or so gradually increasing the pellets and less of the mix.
If dadbun has a runny tum its possible he is getting too much protein and not enough fibre. Try cutting back on veg and dried mix and just give him plenty of hay. that should help.

Yes she's had kits i didn't even know she was pregnant, I got told before i had her that she had had the snip so i thought that i wouldn't be having no kits running around lol. She's only young i've only had her about a month now so its all new to me, I've had my male over a year he's a very active :lol:

Yeah i've always give them hay 24/7 so i'm doing something right there :lol:
I'll go and get some of them pellets and just put them on them gradually. :)

Thankyou for your advice :wave:

So was the dadbun still in with her when she had the babies? Cos she could well be pregnant again. How old are the kits she has with her now?
If you dont want to continue breeding now would probably be a fab time to get dadbun neutered so it doesnt happen again.
If she is preggars again then the 1st litter would i think need to be removed and handreared on the arrival of the 2nd litter as I wouldnt have thought that the 2nd litter will survive because they wont be able to compete with the older ones for mums milk. Though thats just what I would have thought. I dont have alot of experience with baby bunnies really, someone else with more may advise differently.
Do keep us posted if she have a 2nd litter. i'm sure people would help and advise if they can.
I dont mean to preach but in an ideal world it would be lovely after kits are grown up for mummy bun and daddy bun to be neutered and live together happily with no more risk of that patter of tiny paws! :love:

Yes he was, 1 had already died & another one one of them had nibbled on so i rang the vets and they told me to put it out of its misery it was horrible. She had them over night last night she had 7 but only 5 have lived so i'm keeping a close eye on them, As soon as i saw the babies this morning i took the dad straight out now mummy & 5 babies are upstairs in my bedroom in a cage where its nice & warm for them all. I don't have a clue with baby rabbits either thats why i've come on here for advice myself. I kinda blaime myself for the babies dying because i didn't know she was pregnant. I'm going to take her to the vets in the morning to make sure that she isn't pregnant if she is then i've already conciderd taking the babies off her and hand rearing them as i've already bought some of that lactol milk but ive read that its very hard to & its raley sucessfull? Ill try my best though as i feel like i'm the one to blame. How long are rabbits pregnant for?? Yeah i'm deffo getting the daddy snipped as soon as i can afford it, At the minute he's staying well away!! :lol: I never really realised where the *f*c*i*g like rabbits come from until now :lol::lol:
I just hope with her being so young and with them being her 1st litter that she'll take to them & be a good mum.

Danielle.

Hiya - oh dear, what a shock for you!

If the dad was still in with her after she gave birth then she will almost certainly be pregnant again I'm afraid. However your vet won't be able to tell at the moment (it's actually pretty hard to tell right up until very late pregnancy) and I doubt there's anything they'll be able to do about it so soon after she's given birth anyway - might be worth ringing to check though.

The chances of success with handrearing are very, very slim. If I were you, I would leave the babies with mum regardless of whether or not she may be pregnant again. But note down 30 days in the calendar from when she gave birth as around that time she may well nest and give birth again. If she does, you may have to remove the 4 week old babies and give them a helping hand at that stage - but not now.

In the meantime I would also suggest booking your french lop boy in for neutering, as once she has raised her litter you may be able to reintroduce them to each other so they can be friends again :) It's a really quick, straightforward op for a male bun and it will give his hormones a chance to calm down and for him to become infertile after the op (it can take a few weeks so better to get it done sooner).

You'll also need to sex the babies at around 8 weeks old and separate them by sex/from mum by 10 weeks, otherwise you could end up with the same thing happening all over again!

Good luck xxx

I wouldn't take mum to the vets just yet. Just leave her be with the babies she'll know what to do. You may not see her feed them as they often only do this once a day, often at night.

If the buck was there when the babies were born she will no doubt be pregnant again now as the doe smells irresistable to the male after giving birth and she can become pregnant as soon as 1 hour after giving birth. If she is pregnant there's not really much you can do now as she has the other babies to feed. Please do not take the babies away from her as hand rearing them is not likely to be sucessful.

Rabbits are pregnant for approx 31 days so mark the birthdate on the calendar and keep watch. It may be necessary to separate the first litter later if and when the second litter appear. You can keep them nearby and allow her access to feed them I understand.

Please use the search tool above to look up previous thread relating to the care of does and kits.

Now would be an excellent time to get the boy done.

Thankyou for all your advice :) I appreciate it all.

This has come a very big shock to me & even bigger now i know she might be pregnant again :lol:
As soon as i can i'm going to get him done so nothing like this can happen again, I best start saving up for some cages eh lol. Yeah i'de like her to look after them herself as thats what us mum's have to do! :lol: I'm still laughing about this because if i don't i may start crying :cry: :lol:

I'm gunna mark it on the calendar now & keep an eye on her but she's staying well away from my male lol.

Danielle.

She can only be identified as pregnant after at least 10 days, so they won't be able to do anything on tomorrow.

Its good to know you heard what I said about not heandrearing them :roll:

Also, depending on how 'nibbled' the bunny was, it could have potentially survived, plenty do with some small 'nibble' issues.

She will be pregnant for 28-34 days, but normally day 31 is the day.

I would suggest getting her spayed too. If you only get him neutered, don't let him near her until 6-8 weeks after his neuter.

When planning the reintroduction of your buns remember that he can still be fertile 6 weeks after the operation so take that in to consideration when sorting out extra accomodation. It would be best to get her done too before you reintroduce, this will reduce any hormonal moodiness as well as preventing uterine cancer which is a big problem in female rabbits.

just wondring how the vet told you to put the nibbled baby out of its misery.:cry:
I dont think i could have done it myself.

I wish the baby would of survived but if i tell you what was missing he/she would of never of survived plus he/she was in a lot of pain he/she wouldn't of made the night it was cruel to watch it like that :cry: I cried my eyes out, I didn't put it to sleep my partner did i couldn't of done anything like that was horrible :cry: I'm just glad the little bunny isnt in any pain anymore!

Id'e tell you how but i don't wanna upset you as it made me cry big time :cry::cry:

Yeah i'll get them both done at the same time & keep them away from each other for a couple of weeks aka 6 to 8 weeks then i know there will be no more babies!! lol.

Back