• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore Foot

KarinB

Warren Scout
Been away for a couple of days and left my Dad in charge of bunnies (he did a great job by the way). He told me today that he noticed our female not putting her back left foot down all the time so today we brought her in and at the back end of her foot she has a small pink area which looks like it is scabbing over, looks as though she must have caught it or stood on something. She seems to be on her foot ok now but I was wondering if there was anything I could do or should I just wait and take her to vets on Monday in case she needs antibiotics for infection?

Is it on her back heel? If so it sounds like a sore hock.
If she is putting her weight on it and getting about as normal then i would say that the vets on Monday will be fine.

Is it on her heel? That sounds like a sore hock.

I'm not an expert on those, but she will need probably lots of soft hay to sleep on. I would probably see about pain medication for now, and medication for it ASAP. They can be really, really nasty. Hopefully that won't be the case for her though :)

Have read about sore hocks on internet and her foot is more pink and callused as opposed to red and inflamed and the former, they say, is normal. She has the equivalent of vet bed in three areas of her hutch but has newspaper, chippings, straw & hay in her dark side. She is let out of the hutch for many hours each day and so gets plenty exercise. I will, however, still take her to the vet on Monday.

Thanks for the replies.

Took her to vets yesterday where she was checked over. She was put on the floor of the vets' room so she could see how she was walking but she wouldn't move! Anyway, vet didn't want to give her an antibiotic unnecessarily as they upset buns' stomachs and she thinks the marks on her feet (she has them on both) are red herrings. Have to monitor her but I don't think there's anything to worry about.

Back