• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update #200. ***URGENT*** Rabbit fight. Lots of blood. Photos.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I just heard a scream and ran outside to see blood over the patio. It looks like Archies bit him. I can't work out exactly where the bite is but it's inbetween his legs. It could be worse than it looks but do I take him to the vets? I'm guessing yes? What will they do for it?

Oh god I'm a wreck. I've got blood all over my tshirt. I've seperated them obviously. I've put Leo in a carrier with a soft fleece. What do I do for the best.

:cry:

Last edited:
I'd say definitely vets, may need some medication for shock and/or potential infection.

Good luck, poor bunny :cry:

VET!
Fleece is fine, but dont put anything in that might stick to the wound
keep him calm and quiet and in the dark to prevent shock. dont bother with food or water bottle as he wont use them.
Hope he's ok.

My vets is closed and there's no emergency out of hours number left?! I've NEVER had to do this for any pet before. What do I do :cry:

I would think maybe the wound is to the penis? Was he humping maybe and been bitten?

You need to get him to a vet. Try posting with the location in the title, asking if anyone can recommend a vet in the area. Also, get the phone book out and start calling anyone with emergency vets available. Also check your vets website in case they have more details there.

Possibly? Leo does sometimes pester Archie but nothing has ever even indicated that this would happen before. I can't work out where it is at all because there's so much blood, mixed with something that's possibly weeping and the fact he's a double maned lionhead so he's always had so much fur round that area.

I think I've found an emergency vets, not a clue how I'm going to afford this. Because I've only had him for three months or so I've stupidly never got round to having him insured.

Thankyou for your replies though!

Good luck! Please get him to the vets instantly. I hope to hear an update from you in due course.

Oh for ***** sake I don't know what to do. I can't drive and the place I need to get to is quite a treck away.

My dads basically going "it's only a nick, it's nothing. The vets will take money off you for the sake of it. He's totally fine look at him." and is basicaly making out I'm being overdramatic.

I don't know how to physically get there without a lift and all my friends who drive are at work.

I'm just sat here crying with blood on my top. My vets which is in walking distance is open 2-4 tomorrow. I REALLY don't want to wait until then but at the moment I feel like I have no other option? :cry:

Have you managed to clean the blood from the wound area??

I've not even tried yet. He's a wriggley bun as it is if you put him on his back and I don't want to stress him out more. Do you think this is the best thing to do now? I'm so hopeless in emergencies.

I think finding the wound is important.

The risk with leaving him until tomorrow is that he may die from shock.

He needs to be brought in somewhere warm, be given a snuggle safe (or rice sock). He also needs pain medication.

If the blood is a large amount then that is obviously a concern alongside shock and infection.

I've not even tried yet. He's a wriggley bun as it is if you put him on his back and I don't want to stress him out more. Do you think this is the best thing to do now? I'm so hopeless in emergencies.

If you are not taking him straight a vet then you need to clean him cleaned up ASAP so you can see the seriousness of the wound.

Take some deep breaths. Take some time to calm down, and then try and ask someone to help you hold him and have a look. The calmer you are, the better for him.

Yep, deep breath. Things always look bad when they are bleeding but you might find the cause is actually a very small injury.

Check him over and see where/what the wound is. If it's stopped bleeding and closed then it might not need an emergency vet. If it's an injury to somewhere delicate then a vet to make sure everything heals straight is more important.

Right. I've managed to get two photos for your opinions. I've just got him out and tried to snip away some of the fur but he started squirming and I really don't want to stress him out anymore at the moment.

:shock: That looks nasty. I think he needs a vet now to be honest. There is an awful lot of blood and I cant really see where the wound is but for that amount of blood I think its going to need some stitching.

He will DEFINATELY need some pain relief!

That looks like a severed penis to be honest. That looks horrific if I can see what I think I am seeing. That can not wait.

Back