• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Some advice please...Rabbit being kept in vets over the weekend after spaying :(

Bunnies1

Young Bun
Hi, wondered if anyone could give some word of comfort here. I took my rabbit into get spayed yesterday. They have to keep her in as she has not done any droppings or isn't eating that much. The vet did say before I handed her over that sometimes they need to keep rabbits in over night after giving a GA as rabbits can take a little longer to come round. I'm just worried as Chloe is my first female rabbit. The vet said this is quite normal and that Chloe is quite bright in her self and is hopping around, it's just the fact she hasn't done any droppings or hasn't eaten that much, that they want to keep her in over the weekend, till she starts eating more and they are happy that he digestive track is working properly. They have also given her some medication to help start her digestive system. I know she is in good hands, but i'm still worried about her, even thought the vet told me this happens to 50%-60% of rabbits. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Sorry for the rant :oops:

Last edited:
Hi, most vets like to see them eat and pass something before letting them go home. It is not unusual for them to stay overnight but most do come home the same day.

If you are uncomfortable leaving her there, then you could ask to bring her home as sometimes they are more comfortable in their own surroundings and if anything happens or she doesn't start eating you could take her back.

We had one spayed about 3 weeks ago and she didn't start to eat properly for about 2 days but she was passing poop and eating bits.

I'm sure she will be OK, sounds like she is in good hands.

Hi,
My Honey was spayed three weeks ago and was kept in for 2 days. This is standard procedure at my vets and I think it is probably for the best as they have everything available to them, medicines etc. and knowledge to deal with any problems. I know it is hard for us when we are at home worrying but please be assured that she is in safe hands.:)

Last edited:
Hi, wondered if anyone could give some word of comfort here. I took my rabbit into get spayed yesterday. They have to keep her in as she has not done any droppings or isn't eating that much. The vet did say before I handed her over that sometimes they need to keep rabbits in over night after giving a GA as rabbits can take a little longer to come round. I'm just worried as Chloe is my first female rabbit. The vet said this is quite normal and that Chloe is quite bright in her self and is hopping around, it's just the fact she hasn't done any droppings or hasn't eaten that much, that they want to keep her in over the weekend, till she starts eating more and they are happy that he digestive track is working properly. They have also given her some medication to help start her digestive system. I know she is in good hands, but i'm still worried about her, even thought the vet told me this happens to 50%-60% of rabbits. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Sorry for the rant :oops:
How is she doing?

Thanks eveyone for your help. I haven't had an update on Chloe yet :( I have to phone tomorrow between 10am and 11am. I will post an update once I know. I hope I get her home. Dylan is missing her and so are we. Although Dylan has had his hands full with the baby rabbit so he has had some company. I just hope Chloe isn't sad in the vets :(

Thanks for all your support :)

Thanks eveyone for your help. I haven't had an update on Chloe yet :( I have to phone tomorrow between 10am and 11am. I will post an update once I know. I hope I get her home. Dylan is missing her and so are we. Although Dylan has had his hands full with the baby rabbit so he has had some company. I just hope Chloe isn't sad in the vets :(

Thanks for all your support :)

I think it's quite normal sometimes for them to do this, she is going to be monitored and has all the appropriate meds etc in there so try not to worry, they will want her out asap anyway, most good vets appreciate animals prefer to be at home, I hope by tomorrow she will be alright, a spay on the females is quite intensive, mine wasn't herself for a good 48 hours so they may be being over cautious but, thats not such a bad thing, I had to go back the next day for pain relief and subcut fluids and a gut stimulant injection as mine wouldn't eat the next day. Hope all is well for you tomorrow, she will be glad to get home and will need lots of rest and tlc and to be kept warmish. Get all her favourite herbs and hay in ready. Good luck x

Hi everyone, thanks again for all the posts. Chloe is home now :D but she hasn't eat anything, I've gave her a selection of fresh veg as the vet told me she was eating this. She was so happy to be back with Dylan. I think it will take a while for her to eat maybe once she has settled back in again. I have been given medication for her to help her gut flow, we've to give it to her twice a day.

Thanks again for all your support.

I'm glad she is OK. She may start to eat more now she is in her own environment. Make sure you have a selection of veg and herbs to tempt her and if her partner is with her it may encourage her to eat too.

Sending her lots of eating and pooping vibes.

Did your vet give you any painkiller for her as she won't eat if she is in pain.

Back