• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur balls - Please help

akaemzybabe

Young Bun
for the last week Miffy has been suffering with too much ingested hair, we have been to the vets twice and she seems ok some time eats well and other time shes really uninterested in her pellets.

were brushing her twice a day with a small pet slicker - can anyone recommend brushes for angora cross crosses? her hair is super fine but she only has a wispy mane.

I am force feeding her crucial care when shes not interested in her food, and pineapple juice as often as possible. is there anything else i can feed her to get her through this?

also i used to use some hair ball treats by treatums but have stopped because shes been unwell does anyone know if theses actually work? these ones http://www.*********************.co.uk/product.asp?c_id=3&s_id=16&p_id=1086

many thanks in advance for any comments, i'm really stumped by this one

General hair ball treatment for cats or dogs (which is what I'm guessing that is because I can't see the link), is not recommended because it can make the problem worse in rabbits.

Some people fine the Furminator a good brush. Another option would be having her clipped?

Hydration is super, super important. So I would say maybe subcutaneous fluids (i.e. under the skin) could be beneficial. You can be taught how to do this at home so you don't have to keep going to the vets.

I would say look to increase hydration as much as possible. So use a bowl instead of a bottle, change the water as often as possible (such as every hour or so), also you can try flavouring water with things to encourage her to drink more (but the same as with anything new, that can be a risk).

I would also suggest maybe pain meds and seeing different vets? Are you sure its fur causing it?

thats what i suspected with the fur ball treats - thanks for that.

my vets are really good but they are 20 mins away as apposed to seeing 2 that are in the same town.

we went to the vets Easter Sunday and again yesterday (Friday) each time she has come away from the vets and been eating, she was eating hay in front of the vet on Friday. The have given her fluids, pain meds, the gut drug metroclapromide (sp) and an antibiotic on sunday. The vet on Friday spent half an hour with us, even tho they had a cat that wasnt weeing that needed an op. He said just to purserveer with feeding her and the pineapple juice.

her coat is nearly all out now which is the good news.

Ive tried to give her tummy massages to stimulate movement but not 100% sure how to do this.

:wave: Hello lovely lady, nice to see you over here!

The furminator is good at getting lots of fur out, im brushing Teddy and Joey twice a day at the moment they are moulting so bad!!!

The furminator is good at getting lots of fur out, im brushing Teddy and Joey twice a day at the moment they are moulting so bad!!!

Only 4 months old this thread nursecroft :) :wave:

I use the furminator and it's wonderful, really does work. Be careful though as buns skin is so sensitive :wave:

In addition to all the other good advice, I think it's important to keep the gut moving which means increasing the fiber content. I'd add some older fresh bramble/blackberry leaves or raspberry leaves (if you can get them) to the hay. ;)
Good luck.

Back