• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Pairs?

Jaspers mum

Young Bun
I noticed alot of threads talking about husbuns, and bonding, and pairing....

I just have one bun, and he's pretty happy. He could be happier, but it's going to take time after being in a shelter for 8 months (a shelter which, btw, the government stepped in and closed down for extreme neglect)

Do I need to get another bun?

Jasper is not cuddly by any means, however my vet told me this could be becuase
a) he is a netherland and they tend to be more active and curious than cuddly.
b) he is not yet neutered.
c) he has been through trauma, although I see a slow but daily improvement.

Can someone enlighten me? Little bun has been through so much, I want him to be happy!

Well, bunnies with some social problems could bebnefit from another bun, because if u get one that is outgoing, your current bun won't feel as scared if th other one isn't. I have a single bunny though and he is very happy

I noticed alot of threads talking about husbuns, and bonding, and pairing....

I just have one bun, and he's pretty happy. He could be happier, but it's going to take time after being in a shelter for 8 months (a shelter which, btw, the government stepped in and closed down for extreme neglect)

Do I need to get another bun?

Jasper is not cuddly by any means, however my vet told me this could be becuase
a) he is a netherland and they tend to be more active and curious than cuddly.
b) he is not yet neutered.
c) he has been through trauma, although I see a slow but daily improvement.

Can someone enlighten me? Little bun has been through so much, I want him to be happy!

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/neutering28.8.07.pdf

:)

Good job taking on a bun that been through such a lot. Its great that you see consistent small improvements with him.
I'm sure there are many desexed does languishing in good shelters or foster homes just waiting for a new forever home with a lovely buck.
I've always had a partner for my buns because bonded buns have always seemed more content when they are allowed to play out their normal social behaviours. Another bun offers companionship in a way we simply can't - all that binkying & flopping is a bit scary when its a human doing it :lol:
Seriously though its so wonderful seeing your bun loved up with his/her bondmate.
However only you can decide when your boy is ready for desexing after his rough time prior to coming to you. As the links Jane has included will tell you a bonding has more chance of success when the buns concerned are desexed.
Many rescues/shelters will do the bonding for you too which is a great service which you usually make a donation to help them cover the rescues costs.
Good luck with your decision, its only right for Jaspers sake that you give it some time & research.

thanks for all the feedback!

The rabbit has bonded very closely with my smallest cat, they are about the same size. They groom eachother, play tag together, and sleep together.

Cat is very gentle, and mind when Jasper gets a little "excited" (gross I know, but he does it nonetheless)

After reading and researching, I think for now, things will stay as they are :) (with the exception of his danglies, those have to go.)

My girl Honey went through alot when in her first 6weeks, and its left a big affect on her, plus limited hearing and an eye removal.
I thought she would never bond but now she has Blue shes actually come on leaps and bounds, I think with the company of Blue its bought her on alot more then she would on her own.
Now she has two boys to snuggle upto and shes like a different rabbit.
Although both my boys are placid and gentle with her, I thinkl they know.

Back